Question bad ping while downloading

savier

Commendable
Dec 15, 2016
Hello. I have 2 devices PC and Laptop
I have same windows 10 installed on both of them. both devices (pc and laptop) are connected to the same router. On pc when i run torrent program (qtorrent) few downloads and something else (internet consuming) and open command line and run ping www.google.com -t it shows excellent ping 16ms stable and smooth. if i do the same on the laptop (run torrents downloads etc) and try to ping google it shows extremely unstable ping (400+ ms 1000+ ms etc) . after i disconnect device from wireless network and reconnect it - it resolves issue for some short period of time but then problem returns. what can probably cause this? (laptop is much more powerful than pc by the way )

small screenshot from laptop right now -- http://prntscr.com/nxo9ik

It very well could be that because the laptop is more powerful it can download more data.

The increased ping is a expected results when you use all your internet bandwidth. This problem is called bufferbloat. The ISP is trying to be nice and not discard you data when you exceed your bandwidth you purchase. They put the data in a memory buffer in their router an try to send it at a later time. If the ping packet gets put in the buffer behind a bunch of download traffic it will be delayed.

This actually increases performance of most applications since if they get too many packets discards rather than delayed they must reset them or slow the rate they request data. Pretty much the only application that does not like bufferbloat is a game program.

It is pretty easy to prevent if you know it is torrent doing it. Just set the torrent client to never use more than say 80% of your bandwidth. The traffic should never get queued and your pings should stay stable.

TRENDING THREADS