Question Bad Pool Caller after OS migration

woodslanding

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
I moved my Windows 10 PRO OS disk from a dell 7386 to a dell 9575. The previous move from an old desktop unit went smoothly, and windows updated all the drivers correctly. I ran it for a week, before deciding I would upgrade to a larger laptop....

This migration is not going so smoothly. I'm assuming a driver mis-match. The cpu is showing up to 50% and quitting with a bad_pool_caller. I'm trying to update drivers, but I can rarely get through installing anything without a crash. I have been able to install all the windows updates, except flash, which fails every time. This seems to include the video drivers and intel chipset stuff. But it's still crashing.

Wondering if someone with a better dump reader can tease out the culprit from my minidump file. I used a freeware reader, and all it could tell me was that the crash was in the kernel, and therefore probably a software, not a hardware problem.... I've run all diagnostics and memory and drives all check out fine.

Thanks in advance!!

-eric

MINIDUMP FILE

this is driver issue, if u can go to safe mode, go to device manager, at top click on view -> show hidden devices
delete everything greyed out (uninstall driver if that option pops out)
reinstall all drivers for your laptop (vendor web site, support page, driver area)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have run the dump file and you can see the full report here: https://pste.eu/p/L2S4.html

Summary of findings:
BugCheck C2
Probably caused by : iaStorAVC.sys ( iaStorAVC!Wcdl::Allocator::freeContiguous+20 )

Bugcheck Description:
BAD_POOL_CALLER
"This indicates that the current thread is making a bad pool request. This can sometimes mean that your program is attempted to free up resources that have already been freed, or don't exist.

It can equally mean the pool header itself is corrupted, however less likely. Typically this is at a bad IRQL level or double freeing the same memory allocation, etc.

On some occasions this can be faulty memory, but usually is driver based.

See the report for full details.

Some things to consider:
  • The dump file has identified INTEL RAPID STORAGE TECHNOLOGY as the likely cause. I would look at disabling or updating this depending on if it is still relevant for your system.
  • Your AMD Video card drivers are out of date
  • It would appear other drivers could be out of date too, but i would look at Intel RST and AMD drivers first. Please see below...
However I would note, that being as you have migrated the OS not only once, but also twice, I feel like it could be a rabbit hole, and really a clean install is the best route to go IMO. Windows is not as transferrable as we would often like.

Last edited:

woodslanding

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
alright, thanks so much for the help! I'll update those drivers and see where I stand. If I'm still chasing tonight, or encounter any other problems in the next week or two, I'll do a fresh install.

woodslanding

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
okay, I've updated a bunch of drivers, and the winning answer is:

DO A FRESH INSTALL!

The processor, a 3.10 ghz i7 is running at 3.75 ghz. Not good for long life. And no idea how to chase that.

Thanks so much!

USAFRet

Titan
One more question: is the 'refresh windows' option going to cut it, or should I wipe?
Full wipe and reinstall.

TRENDING THREADS