[SOLVED] Bad Power supply fan or Imbalanced?

devo343

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
PSU is a rosewill 450Z RD

ive had it for about a year and in a half and the fan has started making noise.

What i wanna know is if the fan is going bad or is it imbalanced?

video to show what i mean

screwdriver to stop the fan from spinning to pinpoint if that was the cause.

Fan

Solution
Sounds like a fan with a failed bearing. I would get the Noctua fan now. They last years and years and are as quiet as you can get

Any replacement that Newegg send is just going to be the same bottom-tier fan that you had before and will be much louder than the Noctua fan, even before the bearing fails.

Be extremely careful when replacing the fan since PSUs can still hold a lot of voltage when unplugged.
It's usually difficult for me to diagnose from a recording however...
Unless something is interfering with the blades...I don't think there is anything you are going to be able to do to fix it and I would replace it.
Fans of this size generally don't "become" unbalanced unless the bearings go bad in which case the fan needs replacement.
If the fan isn't unbalanced...but the bearings are just noisy...it still should be replaced as noise is a sign of wear.

devo343

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
It's usually difficult for me to diagnose from a recording however...
Unless something is interfering with the blades...I don't think there is anything you are going to be able to do to fix it and I would replace it.
Fans of this size generally don't "become" unbalanced unless the bearings go bad in which case the fan needs replacement.
If the fan isn't unbalanced...but the bearings are just noisy...it still should be replaced as noise is a sign of wear.

yeah ive allready contacted rosewill about the fan they said they can probably send me a replacement fan if its in stock if not i could prob get a noctua fan to put in there.

yeah ive allready contacted rosewill about the fan they said they can probably send me a replacement fan if its in stock if not i could prob get a noctua fan to put in there.
Fans generally come in pretty standard sizes and voltages.
I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a variety of fans that would work.
This is one of my suppliers.
There are 2398 DC axial fans here.
https://www.newark.com/w/c/cooling-thermal-management/fans-blowers/dc-axial-fans?ost=fans

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Sounds like a fan with a failed bearing. I would get the Noctua fan now. They last years and years and are as quiet as you can get

Any replacement that Newegg send is just going to be the same bottom-tier fan that you had before and will be much louder than the Noctua fan, even before the bearing fails.

Be extremely careful when replacing the fan since PSUs can still hold a lot of voltage when unplugged.

Solution

devo343

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019

Any good 120m Noctuas you recomend that would work good with a PSU note this fan is thermal regulated so idk how the pinouts would work

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Just an update to say I checked and Noctua do not currently offer any fans with built in temperature control, so if you do swap it for that NF-A12x25 PWM it will not have temp control built in.

Although I’d be surprised if it was the fan doing the temp monitoring and not the PSU. Does your PSU fan definitely have temperature control?

devo343

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
Just an update to say I checked and Noctua do not currently offer any fans with built in temperature control, so if you do swap it for that NF-A12x25 PWM it will not have temp control built in.

Although I’d be surprised if it was the fan doing the temp monitoring and not the PSU. Does your PSU fan definitely have temperature control?
i have no clue all i know is when it starts getting hot the fan speed will kick up

Do NOT put a Noctua in there.

PSU manufacturers don't use Noctua's blade design in PSU because they SUCK.

Besides, why put a fan in there that argually costs more than the PSU? It's literally the cheapest PSU out there. I'm surprised that after a year, the fan is the only thing that's failed.

devo343

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019

Besides, why put a fan in there that argually costs more than the PSU? It's literally the cheapest PSU out there. I'm surprised that after a year, the fan is the only thing that's failed.
its not the cheapest then what fan would you recommend then?

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021

Nonsense. Please refrain from spreading misinformation.

A fan is a fan. So long as it shifts enough air, it will cool the PSU. The CFM of the A12x25 will certainly be higher than the no-brand, bottom-tier Rosewill fan that came with the PSU, so you will be improving the cooling while reducing noise.

Manufacturers don’t use Noctua fans because they’re too expensive and would raise the cost of the PSU, not because they “suck”.

And they don’t use the Noctua fan design because it’s patented and they would have to license it from Noctua.

The A12x25 costs around $15, which is nowhere near the cost of the PSU. It’s a lot to spend on a PSU fan, for sure, but if you want quality and silence, you have to be prepared to pay for it.

It’s just a standard, normal, 12V, 120mm PWM fan. There’s nothing special about it and absolutely no reason to replace like for like, and actually pretty much any other fan you can buy will be better than the Rosewill one.

TRENDING THREADS