user5555

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
Hello guys
I have this question
I have a computer who was working fine ( in terms of.....was starting up fine)
It had a viruses and some other stuff
So I decided to run combofix
But combofix detected Kaspersky, and asked me to uninstall this, which I tried, but couldn't find it anywhere, so I decided to run combofix anyway.....which crashed the system. (No problem....I like reinstalling windows.)

I took out the harddrive, so I could back up the files on another computer
When I connected it back in the pc, the computer starts, (fans start spinning) but then shuts down after 2 seconds. After that, it wouldn't start, until I unplugged the computer and plugged it back in. Then it would start again for 2 secs, then shuts back down.
I took out the HDD power cable.....it worked fine
Put it back in.....starts then shuts down
So I thought it was the HDD, so I put in another HDD (let's call this the 2nd HDD) in......worked fine.
Put back in the first HDD, .....shuts the pc down. I changed the HDD cable also using the first HDD, also shuts the pc down.
But after a while unplugged all power cables and IDE cables, it would shut back down with all power cables, and IDE cables out.
Then I changed the Power supply....using the first HDD and IDE Cables .......everything worked fine.
If it is a power supply failure....what could have caused this....since it was working fine before I took out the HDD out ?

Hope the story is clear

Solution
wait a minute...
did the change the whole big power supply box or just put a different cable going to the hdd?
if its the second one, lookat the cable and look if there a pin being pushed out, a bent pin, or the connector is otherwise wierd. if the ssystem works fine now you have nothign to worry about...

shovenose

Distinguished
wait a minute...
did the change the whole big power supply box or just put a different cable going to the hdd?
if its the second one, lookat the cable and look if there a pin being pushed out, a bent pin, or the connector is otherwise wierd. if the ssystem works fine now you have nothign to worry about...

Solution

user5555

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
I changed the plugs going to the HDD, it did the same thing (shut down, and didn't want to start)
When I changed the whole power supply, it start working fine.
I just wanted to know how did the PSU went bad,
It was working fine before I took out the HDD