Question Bad power supply?

Apr 8, 2020
So I recently built my first PC after my previous completely crashed on me. We ran into some issues trying to get my PC working but ultimately we got it working. I got all new parts except my old HDD and power supply (both of which are about 9 years old).

Well this last week was my first full week using it and it's been great. Last night I played some games, watched some YouTube and Netflix, then turned it off and went to bed. This morning I get up start my computer but it doesn't boot up. Sure all the fans start going but no OS, not even the little motherboard beep. I think it might be my power supply because the fans sound like they're fluctuating: slowing down then speeding up. But then again I'm very new to PCs so I'm not sure.

And I did reseat everything, tried booting up with just one stick of RAM, tried wkrh just one screen, etc. The PC powers on but doesn't boot up.

So I recently built my first PC after my previous completely crashed on me. We ran into some issues trying to get my PC working but ultimately we got it working. I got all new parts except my old HDD and power supply (both of which are about 9 years old).

Well this last week was my first full week using it and it's been great. Last night I played some games, watched some YouTube and Netflix, then turned it off and went to bed. This morning I get up start my computer but it doesn't boot up. Sure all the fans start going but no OS, not even the little motherboard beep. I think it might be my power supply because the fans sound like they're fluctuating: slowing down then speeding up. But then again I'm very new to PCs so I'm not sure.

And I did reseat everything, tried booting up with just one stick of RAM, tried wkrh just one screen, etc. The PC powers on but doesn't boot up.
It is quite possible it is your PSU. What are the full system specifications?

Apr 8, 2020
It is quite possible it is your PSU. What are the full system specifications?

These are my new components:
ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6GB
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
MSI GEFORCE GTX 1060 Super 192 bit
Cooler Master - Hyper 212 Black Edition 120mm
CORSAIR - VENGEANCE LPX Series 16GB (2PK 8GB) 3.0GHz DDR4
WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB

These are my old components:
Corsair GS 600 80 Plus
WD Blue 250GB Everyday PC (this is where my Windows is installed on)

These are my new components:
ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6GB
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
MSI GEFORCE GTX 1060 Super 192 bit
Cooler Master - Hyper 212 Black Edition 120mm
CORSAIR - VENGEANCE LPX Series 16GB (2PK 8GB) 3.0GHz DDR4
WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB

These are my old components:
Corsair GS 600 80 Plus
WD Blue 250GB Everyday PC (this is where my Windows is installed on)
For sure you are going to want to replace that PSU no matter what. It is well beyond its 3 year warranty and doesn't come with any of the new protections. On top of that it is probably group regulated which isn't done anymore and is only 80+ White efficient. I also would change out that old WD HDD where you have Windows installed. That drive is now very old and slow and while it might feel "snappy" due to a fresh install, you are playing with fire having your OS on a 9 year old HDD. At this point in time that drive is as likely to fail as your PSU. Look at getting a 500GB Western Digital Blue SN550 and cloning your HDD onto that for you boot and applications drive. For a PSU look at a 550W or 650W Corsair RMx or TXM or Seasonic Focus GX or GM. Those are high quality 80+ Gold rated PSUs that will last you a very long time.

Apr 8, 2020
Thank you for the suggestions. I'll be sure to try the paper clip test. And unfortunately I'll have to wait until the 14th before I can purchase a new psu.