[SOLVED] Bad problem with few games not running on recent builds of Windows 10.

Siegfriedm

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2012
Hello, I have this problem on freshly installed(less than 2 months) Windows 10, fully updated. A few games on Steam (Bioshock Infinite and Dishonored) doesn't run at all, and googling for it, I'm not the only one to experience this problem.
Seems that last build where they ran, was 1903, but I can't revert to that version, because I installed an already updated version of Win 10.
I suspect that there is something MS changed, because I also tried on another system with Win 10 1909, and I had still the same problem. Then I tried on another system with an older Win 10 build, and they ran fine.
Oddly, both games have a thing in common: they should have created a folder in Documents/My Games, but they didn't.
I don't know why. I don't have folder permissions problems, and I have other games folders in "My Games". I also tried with mklink function, but nothing.
Any suggestion?

I already tried with compatibility mode and with "run as administrator".

Solution
Hello again

Please check if Ransomware Protection is enabled in Windows Defender.

Another workaround you can try is to change the default folder for the games. You can find more details here.

Good Luck!!
Hello

I was wondering if you already tried running the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter feature instead of manually running the games in Compatibility Mode? This would automatically find the best settings for the games.

You can find this option in Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot.

Feel free to report back if this doesn't solve your problem, and you need further assistance in this.

Cheers!!

Siegfriedm

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2012
Hello

I was wondering if you already tried running the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter feature instead of manually running the games in Compatibility Mode? This would automatically find the best settings for the games.

You can find this option in Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot.

Feel free to report back if this doesn't solve your problem, and you need further assistance in this.

Cheers!!

Thanks, but it doesn't work. Any idea what can prevent it to create the proper folder in Documents/My Games? I don't even know if that is the cause or just the result of another issue.