Question bad psu again

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
Hi, awhile back I tried to upgrade the psu in a hp pro 33 mt to a evga 500w where the fan turned out to be loud and have clicking noises.
Sent it back and orderd a coolermaster v3 elite 400 w that also turns out to be loud, seems to be full speed all the time.
Am I suddenly getting really unlucky or could something else be the problem. I never had bad luck with psus like this before
building over 20 computers.
Could a bad motherboard take a fully working psu fan out on first try? the computer is working without problem and also
works with the original hp 300 w psu that is not loud.
I know this a cheap model of coolermaster psu but I had cheaper that don't make this much noise.
Im also thinking of bad power from outlet as possible problem but that should mean that my other computers should be loud to?

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
so the mid price range psus are supposed to run fans at full speed? even the shittiest oem psus don't do that. I get what you mean but for a price of 60 s you still ecpect to get a fairly quiet psu that not full blast the fans on first start.
So maybe im not that unlucky when I only had two bad psus out of that many buts till frustrating.

so the mid price range psus are supposed to run fans at full speed? even the shittiest oem psus don't do that. I get what you mean but for a price of 60 s you still ecpect to get a fairly quiet psu that not full blast the fans on first start.
So maybe im not that unlucky when I only had two bad psus out of that many buts till frustrating.

You aren't buying mid range PSU's, you are buying total crap low end ones.

Reactions: AllanGH
Im not here to start a fight but are you saying that it is expected to get a fan running full speed first startup with a psu like that when 6 year old oems psus still work without issues?

You are buying junk.

MOST OEM systems PSU's are also junk.

A PSU turning on doesn't mean anything, without issues?

How do you know?

You had them hooked up and tested by professionals with the correct equipment right?

Not all the time, some OEM's are better than the junk you are buying. ;)

Quoted for truth.

The PSUs used in HP's, Dell, Acer, etc. are WAY better than these cheap Cooler Master and EVGA PSUs.

Dell doesn't want to replace an entire machine because some cheap PSU blew up and destroyed half the parts. Never mind the liability of starting fires. That's one of the reasons eMachines went out of business.

Reactions: jankerson

Not mid range PSUs. Those aren't mid range PSUs that you're using.

Cheap PSUs use a very simply fan controller and a cheap fan (sleeve bearing). In your other builds, if you're using larger cases like the kind you would buy to build your own PC, you have a lot more airflow. Those HP's and Dells can be packed pretty tight, and those cheap PSUs are using cheap parts that run really hot. That's why they barely get a standard 80 PLUS badge (if any... or if they didn't fake it like so many companies do coughAerocoolcough). So you put them in a tightly packed PC and they're choking for air and that fan has nothing better to do but spin up as fast as it needs to to move some air so those shitty parts inside don't burst into flames.

Quoted for truth.

The PSUs used in HP's, Dell, Acer, etc. are WAY better than these cheap Cooler Master and EVGA PSUs.

Dell doesn't want to replace an entire machine because some cheap PSU blew up and destroyed half the parts. Never mind the liability of starting fires. That's one of the reasons eMachines went out of business.

Cough, gasp, choke,,,,,,, E-Machines..... :ROFLMAO:

Those and the Cheap Compaq's and Packard Bells.....

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
i get your point with the airflow i used psus like this before in many upgradeds though without issue. Im guessing the quality control of these units are bad . I will try them in another build
with good airflow and see if it overheats in that one to.

When it comes to oem psus i had one psu pop and catch fire and it was from a hp machine. so i would say there quality of oem psus are hard to trust.

maybe this argument didnt make sense from the start but i have suspected issues with power from wall outlet before since it popped two psus in a few days time a few months ago.

Im guessing the quality control of these units are bad .

Try non-existent. I've visited these factories before and many of them get disqualified during audit for simply being too inadequate to make a reliable product.

Interesting about the HP PSU bursting into flames. Haven't heard of that one before, but like @jankerson 's reference to old Compaq and PBell's PSUs, I just don't remember what they used over a decade ago. I just recall what they use now. eMachines I'm familiar with because I used to work for TigerDirect about 15 years ago and we sold a bunch of those with crappy PSUs.

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
thanks for your answers jonny you obviously are skilled , i think i will start buying some slightly better psus in the future and try cutting price on some other parts instead.
what is your opinion about be quiet system power 9 series?