Dec 10, 2020
Hi , i've a time reading this forum about PSU's and im confused about how EVERY SINGLE PSU anyone asks if its good most comments say its bad and they should buy a supernova or corsair CX.

What makes them so ''bad''? I mean, i know a lot of people using those ''terribles'' 80 plus bronze PSU for many years and they work just fine, even myself, using my PC for streaming and rendering every day for like 2 years now with my 650TI and BRP500 (really bad PSU) and it keeps working fine.

I want to upgrade my GPU and PSU but every one i can get on my country (Argentina) is terrible according to this forum, what people from 3rd world countries should do? Very few models arrive here and top tiers PSU here are extremely expensive (literally the only way to get a supernova or CX here is for 300 dollars and used (so its pretty much a lottery)

I want a 1660TI or 2060 on an early future but PSU's available here are basics EVGA, Aerocool Kcas and Cylon, Azza psaz, 80 plus white sentey's, Redragon, Gamemax, Coolermaster V2, Thermaltake TR2 and smart RGB, basic gigabyte, and not much more.
How realistically bad would it be having those GPU's with those PSUs? I cant really afford a 300 dollars PSU so i cant get the top tier's PSU's from here (i never even seen any place selling them). Any recomendations? (buying on amazon is not an option since because of taxes it costs X3 or X4 times the original price and most of the times you cant even recieve them).

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
What makes them bad is they have poorly configured safety features (or missing them altogether), use cheap parts prone to failure, and cheap parts that can damage components through poor filters, poor voltage regulation, etc. And lots of cheap PSUs use old group-regulated designs that are completely inappropriate modern components, such as GPUs and CPUs, that basically just want +12V power.

And here's the thing: you don't actually know if your cheap PSU was working fine. You're assuming "PC is running" means "working fine" when it doesn't. Like someone who drops dead of a heart attack before ever having a symptom of heart disease wasn't actually fine the day before they had a heart attack, damage to components is present long before something bad happens.

What online stores in Argentina do you shop from?

Reactions: Wuapo
Dec 10, 2020
Hi,
What makes them bad is they have poorly configured safety features (or missing them altogether), use cheap parts prone to failure, and cheap parts that can damage components through poor filters, poor voltage regulation, etc. And lots of cheap PSUs use old group-regulated designs that are completely inappropriate modern components, such as GPUs and CPUs, that basically just want +12V power.

And here's the thing: you don't actually know if your cheap PSU was working fine. You're assuming "PC is running" means "working fine" when it doesn't. Like someone who drops dead of a heart attack before ever having a symptom of heart disease wasn't actually fine the day before they had a heart attack, damage to components is present long before something bad happens.

What online stores in Argentina do you shop from?

Hi, thanks for the reply, https://www.mercadolibre.com.ar/ , this is pretty much the ''latin america's ebay'' , but beside there the most popular stores are:

https://www.venex.com.ar/componentes-de-pc/fuentes
https://compragamer.com/index.php?seccion=3&cate=34&nro_max=50
(links are on the PSU section)

The only ''decent'' i see just because its a Seasonic is the 500w A12 80+white, but it's not even that good and it cost 207 dollars (it seems expensive for a 500w 80+ white PSU) , and the ASUS ROG 750G , but it costs 520 dollars and it also seems pretty extreme (and i cant afford that, salaries here are arround 250 bucks).

The other problem is that if you get a used PSU here is risky because its probably almost dead, and here on Argentina people sell their used stuff more expensive than the brand new ones, so that's not cheap either.