Bad PSU or bad GPU?

lboldon

Commendable
Jan 26, 2017
The other day my computer completely shut down and would not turn back on. I had a pretty crappy PSU in there, so I figured that had burnt out, so I went ahead and ordered a Corsair CX750 750W PSU to replace my old one. I got the new PSU, plugged everything and turned on my computer and immediately my GPU lit up like a sparkler (in a bad way). I shut everything down, but I could smell burning electronics.

So my question would be where is the problem coming from? Was it a bad PSU that fried my GPU, or was it the GPU going bad initially that shut down my computer the first time?

Computer works fine without the GPU, I've been using it since I got the new PSU just fine.

Specs are :
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Motherboard
AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5 GHz CPU
EVGA Geforce GTX 960 4G GPU
Corsair 750CX 750W PSU.

Thanks!

Solution
It is very typical that when crappy PSU's fail that they take out other components when they fail. They do not have the circuitry to shut down fast enough before they cause a power surge to the system, frying other components. This is one reason why you don't cheap out on the PSU.

It is much more likely that your PSU failed taking the GPU with it than the other way around.
It is very typical that when crappy PSU's fail that they take out other components when they fail. They do not have the circuitry to shut down fast enough before they cause a power surge to the system, frying other components. This is one reason why you don't cheap out on the PSU.

It is much more likely that your PSU failed taking the GPU with it than the other way around.

Solution