Bad PSU - Stuttering in games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Apekss

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015
Hello everyone. I want to ask a simple question. Can a bad quality PSU be the reason for lower fps and stuttering in games? My fps drop after some time I have the game open and that's when the stuttering starts as well.

adiec

Honorable

ir can be anything from 1 to 100.. if you hit the higher end 95+ constantly it will cause bad performance. gpu i believe you want it to be 100% unless you are playing older or less gpu reliant games .

Mar 8, 2019
I had to reply even tho its old for others to see if someone looks things up. PSU CAN cause stutter, im talking from experience. There can be micro voltage drops as gpu and cpu demands sudden bursts of current, not severe enough to cause frequent shut downs but enough cause overall slow down and stutter as you turn around in games and so on. This also can cause data corruption on HDD, that occur more often if you game-more voltage fluctuations, even that alone i imagine could cause poor performance. These fluctuations can be so quick that voltage meter wont notice it. One way to check for it to plug in some 12 V led, and you will likely see brief very quick flickering with corner of your eyes when gaming or preforming demanding tasks, other way to check it, well, oscilloscope. Claim that there are only two states of PSU, working- not working is TOTALLY wrong, in between state can happen but its on rare side and more on failed off brand psu's

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS