[SOLVED] Bad psu?

Aug 6, 2019
I’ve upgraded my motherboard because I figured I had overheated my last mobo. And caused damage. (Temps of around 75+)
I had experienced sudden crashing while playing Overwatch (with same temps; 75+) kept crashing and I was stupid enough to keep turning it on. Kept doing this turn on, crash, repeat over the course of an hour or so until the computer wouldn’t POST, and the cpu light came on. Bought my new mobo after trying to troubleshoot with the last one. Swapped from a MSI B450 AM4 to a Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming. I also swapped my processor from a Ryzen 3600 to a 1200. Everything else is the same as last build. My issue is that when I had first tried to turn on my computer it wouldn’t post, and none of the LEDs came on from my mobo. All the fans would spin, and the ROG symbol on the heat sink would flash it’s colors. Now when powering it on, none of the fans spin, but the ROG symbol still flashes. I’ve tried removing the GPU and powering on with no noticeable changes, I’ve also removed one of the two sticks of RAM and powered on with no noticeable changes, and lastly I’ve tried unplugging and replugging all of my connections. Nothing spins anymore. Just the same ROG light. There’s no picture, there’s no LED on mobo, and there’s no power to USB ports. Any suggestions and questions would be greatly appreciated. I can provide additional specs and pictures if needed.

Solution
I’ve upgraded my motherboard because I figured I had overheated my last mobo. And caused damage. (Temps of around 75+)
I had experienced sudden crashing while playing Overwatch (with same temps; 75+) kept crashing and I was stupid enough to keep turning it on. Kept doing this turn on, crash, repeat over the course of an hour or so until the computer wouldn’t POST, and the cpu light came on. Bought my new mobo after trying to troubleshoot with the last one. Swapped from a MSI B450 AM4 to a Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming. I also swapped my processor from a Ryzen 3600 to a 1200. Everything else is the same as last build. My issue is that when I had first tried to turn on my computer it wouldn’t post, and none of the LEDs came on from my...
Aug 6, 2019
The PSU could have failed. Do you have the opportunity to borrow a known working PSU to either eliminate or confirm the PSU as the cause of your problems?

What PSU do you have? Make and model?
That is a possibility. I don’t have access to a known working psu. I was just going to buy a new one. I have an EVGA 500w BR

To me, it sounds very much like a faulty PSU, but you never know.

It is hard to do much troubleshooting with an almost completely unresponsive PC.

You could try with one RAM stick at a time and testing the RAM in different slots.

But it could spare you some time, I believe, if you could test with a different powersupply, unless youu are going to buy a new one anyway.

Reactions: Devup
Aug 6, 2019

It is hard to do much troubleshooting with an almost completely unresponsive PC.

You could try with one RAM stick at a time and testing the RAM in different slots.

But it could spare you some time, I believe, if you could test with a different powersupply, unless youu are going to buy a new one anyway.
Ok. I’ll try and find a new psu this coming week. I’ll let you guys know if I find any solutions in the meantime. Thanks for the help.

Aug 6, 2019

So I’ve bought a new power supply yesterday and tested that one as well. There was no change in anything. After some research I came across a suggestion saying that I should change the power switch and the reset switch to see if my case buttons are broken. I changed them, and still no changes. So it’s not my psu, not my case buttons.. any other suggestions?

I had experienced sudden crashing while playing Overwatch (with same temps; 75+) kept crashing and I was stupid enough to keep turning it on. Kept doing this turn on, crash, repeat over the course of an hour or so until the computer wouldn’t POST, and the cpu light came on. Bought my new mobo after trying to troubleshoot with the last one. Swapped from a MSI B450 AM4 to a Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming. I also swapped my processor from a Ryzen 3600 to a 1200. Everything else is the same as last build. My issue is that when I had first tried to turn on my computer it wouldn’t post, and none of the LEDs came on from my mobo. All the fans would spin, and the ROG symbol on the heat sink would flash it’s colors. Now when powering it on, none of the fans spin, but the ROG symbol still flashes. I’ve tried removing the GPU and powering on with no noticeable changes, I’ve also removed one of the two sticks of RAM and powered on with no noticeable changes, and lastly I’ve tried unplugging and replugging all of my connections. Nothing spins anymore. Just the same ROG light. There’s no picture, there’s no LED on mobo, and there’s no power to USB ports. Any suggestions and questions would be greatly appreciated. I can provide additional specs and pictures if needed.

Take the motherboard out of the case and put it on a non-conductive surface (like the motherboard box). Try it this way. Don't worry about the case power button. All that does is short the two "power" pins. You can do this with the tip of a screw driver.

If it works, then perhaps the board is shorting on an extra stand off used by the old motherboard, but not the new one?

If it still doesn't work, take ALL of the memory out of the board AND the graphics card, thus leaving only the mobo, CPU and PSU and nothing else. Yes, I realize your CPU does not have integrated graphics. We're going to rely strictly on the status LEDs to know what's going on. With nothing in the board but a CPU, this should cause the four status LEDs next to the RAM to go red and stop.

If these LEDs still don't light up at all, you have a dead motherboard or CPU.

Solution
Aug 6, 2019
Take the motherboard out of the case and put it on a non-conductive surface (like the motherboard box). Try it this way. Don't worry about the case power button. All that does is short the two "power" pins. You can do this with the tip of a screw driver.

If it works, then perhaps the board is shorting on an extra stand off used by the old motherboard, but not the new one?

If it still doesn't work, take ALL of the memory out of the board AND the graphics card, thus leaving only the mobo, CPU and PSU and nothing else. Yes, I realize your CPU does not have integrated graphics. We're going to rely strictly on the status LEDs to know what's going on. With nothing in the board but a CPU, this should cause the four status LEDs next to the RAM to go red and stop.

If these LEDs still don't light up at all, you have a dead motherboard or CPU.
So I did take everything apart and it turns out I didn’t plug in the 24 pin connector all the way. So after all I didn’t need a new power supply or anything. Just user error. Thank you for the suggestions!