vanadium_man

Commendable
Oct 23, 2017
So I've been having crashes after about 10 minutes in any of my games, or in some cases they don't even open at all. I also had my ssd die the other week for no particular reason. I did some reading and apparently really the only way that can happen is due to a bad psu. My. specs are:
GPU: RTX 2080 super
CPU: core i5 8600k
PSU: Thermaltake litepower 650w

Are these power supplies known to fail? Is there a way of testing if it is faulty? Is the gpu drawing too much power? Because it was working fine for a few months with the RTX 2080.

Solution
So i've been having crashes after about 10 minutes in any of my games, or in some cases they don't even open at all. I also had my ssd die the other week for no particular reason. I did some reading and apparently really the only way that can happen is due to a bad psu. My. specs are:

Are these power supplies known to fail? Is there a way of testing if it is faulty? Is the gpu drawing too much power? Because it was working fine for a few months with the RTX 2080.

It could also be a thermal issue but as you mentioned that your ssd died a week ago for no reason its a huge red flag thats pointing more to the side of a bad psu.

Every brand and every model has...
So i've been having crashes after about 10 minutes in any of my games, or in some cases they don't even open at all. I also had my ssd die the other week for no particular reason. I did some reading and apparently really the only way that can happen is due to a bad psu. My. specs are:

It could also be a thermal issue but as you mentioned that your ssd died a week ago for no reason its a huge red flag thats pointing more to the side of a bad psu.

Every brand and every model has bad units. You could get a tier 1 psu and by a very slim chance have it fail on you. The point is that a psu doesnt have to have a reputation of failure for a single unit to fail.

I'd point at the psu in this case.

To determine a failing psu here's a tutorial.

Solution

vanadium_man

Commendable
Oct 23, 2017

Every brand and every model has bad units. You could get a tier 1 psu and by a very slim chance have it fail on you. The point is that a psu doesnt have to have a reputation of failure for a single unit to fail.

I'd point at the psu in this case.

To determine a failing psu here's a tutorial.
Ok thanks will give it a go.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
High ish draw cpu. Demanding gpu. 'Lite power' psu from a company that specializes in nothing, but sticks its name on anything and everything.

There's no way of telling, absolutely. It's all a guess. The crashes might simply be the symptoms of corrupted data from a dying ssd. Even IF the psu is suspected of being the overlying culprit, you'll not know for sure what caused the ssd to die. Could have been any reason for that from heat, bad component in a circuit, lousy solder joint causing 'spark plug' effect, anything. But. If a second ssd died with the same psu, that'd definitely be strong evidence. But in turn, that'd be dumb. No point spending good money on new ssd and not a new psu, if there's already possible/probable cause that the really, really cheap psu is an SSD killer.

Replace both, start with a new windows and hopefully it's not a motherboard issue backfeeding the ssd and causing the problems in the first place.

Just don't cheap out on the new psu, get something much better quality, or next death might be the $700 gpu instead.

vanadium_man

Commendable
Oct 23, 2017
High ish draw cpu. Demanding gpu. 'Lite power' psu from a company that specializes in nothing, but sticks its name on anything and everything.

There's no way of telling, absolutely. It's all a guess. The crashes might simply be the symptoms of corrupted data from a dying ssd. Even IF the psu is suspected of being the overlying culprit, you'll not know for sure what caused the ssd to die. Could have been any reason for that from heat, bad component in a circuit, lousy solder joint causing 'spark plug' effect, anything. But. If a second ssd died with the same psu, that'd definitely be strong evidence. But in turn, that'd be dumb. No point spending good money on new ssd and not a new psu, if there's already possible/probable cause that the really, really cheap psu is an SSD killer.

Replace both, start with a new windows and hopefully it's not a motherboard issue backfeeding the ssd and causing the problems in the first place.

Just don't cheap out on the new psu, get something much better quality, or next death might be the $700 gpu instead.
Alright thanks was looking at a corsair 550w, would this be enough? And is it a more reliable brand?