[SOLVED] Bad RAM and BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death)

hellopeops

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Greetings to you all.

About a month ago my mouse started to sputter and progressed to throwing Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) daily at a minimum. To which I:

(1) Upgraded my motherboard's BIOS
(2) Accepted all Windows 10 updates
(3) Updated Graphic Driver
(4) Updated I/O Drivers (mouse, keyboard et cetera)
(5) Changed my USB network adapter (Minidump files pointed to the network adapter a few times)
(6) Updated my antivirus and anti-malware programs in addition to literally every other program installed on my computer

Thanks to this website I eventually ran a memetest86 on each of my four RAM sticks and discovered that one of them threw over 10K errors :ROFLMAO::love::p

d1e525425ea6e999df164c41c6008647.jpg

Obviously, that was most likely my problem. So, instead of running four sticks of RAM I'm now running two sticks in the A2 and B2 (second and fourth) RAM slot. So far so good. I have a few questions though:

(1) Why was my computer able to turn on despite one of four RAM sticks in abject disarray? Doesn't the POST test for this sort of thing?
(2) Why did Windows memory test say that my memory was A-Okay?

Hopefully, this post helps others in my similar predicament.

Solution
1 post just tests if they physically work, not if they have faults.
2 windows memory test doesn't run the same tests as memtest does. or its not as stressing anyway. Memtest doesn't have to worry about crashing itself while running it.

you should test all 4 sticks by themselves as you don't know if the 2 you are using are error free.

Colif

Win 11 Master
1 post just tests if they physically work, not if they have faults.
2 windows memory test doesn't run the same tests as memtest does. or its not as stressing anyway. Memtest doesn't have to worry about crashing itself while running it.

you should test all 4 sticks by themselves as you don't know if the 2 you are using are error free.

Reactions: hellopeops
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
if he buys a new LAN card he should aim at a new one that supports one of the below (they all mean the same thing)

• WIFI6
  • AX
  • AC2100

they will be more expensive but won't throw errors as much as the drivers are newer. I find a lot of old USB WIFI adapters are causing BSOD these days

but with bad ram isn't hard to blame anything else

hellopeops

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
if he buys a new LAN card he should aim at a new one that supports one of the below (they all mean the same thing)

• WIFI6
  • AX
  • AC2100
they will be more expensive but won't throw errors as much as the drivers are newer. I find a lot of old USB WIFI adapters are causing BSOD these days

but with bad ram isn't hard to blame anything else

Thank you!

hellopeops

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
It's over 9000!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsDDXSmGJZA

Btw, why do you use a USB adapter for networking? USB ports are flaky. Does your mobo use Asmedia? They are not known for decent USB.
You could get a NIC for 10 dollars.

I can't remember why I initially went with a USB adapter for wifi. Maybe pricing was different at the time of purchase. Considering Minidump files pointed to network adapters a few times I'm going to look at getting a NIC. Right now I'm using this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J65G9DD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

According to the user manual my motherboard does use Asmedia.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I can't remember why I initially went with a USB adapter for wifi. Maybe pricing was different at the time of purchase. Considering Minidump files pointed to network adapters a few times I'm going to look at getting a NIC. Right now I'm using this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J65G9DD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

According to the user manual my motherboard does use Asmedia.
I think it was for the X470 chipset AMD said that they would rely on Asmedia for the I/O, at least the USB-part. My first thought was: Please don't. I had to replace my old B350 because it got bricked (too many BIOS updates) so I got an Asus X470. Of course, 1 of the USB ports is probably already dead. The rest seem very flaky, when connecting a printer. I have to try 2-3 ports every time. Think I got it 1-2 years ago. Low-powered devices like keyboard and mouse are fine, so far.

I've had bad experiences with Asmedia before. My former system was an AMD FX-8350, Asus Sabertooth.

Last edited: