Question Bad RAM? Bad CPU?

Adricmb

Reputable
Oct 9, 2016
Hello, I've been suffering from strange, let's just call it, "micro-freezing" for a while now, concretely since I changed my mobo and CPU to a Crosshair VIII Formula and Ryzen 7 3700X. Usually happens when I'm doing stuff with Office, Photoshop, internet surfing, etc, even in desktop. It also happens quite usually when I play Battlefront 2, but not with other games like GTA V or GW2, which work completely fine.

The mechanic of this is that the PC freezes for a minute or so, but not in a complete freeze, instead it keeps working as usual, but you just can't do anything. For example you may be in the desktop, have Ryzen Master open and see the graphics and numbers move, but you're unable to do anything (open/close, minimize, etc.), you can't open task manager or anything since its frozen, but after a minute or so, everything suddenly pops if you've tried to do anything while it stayed like that. Hope you guys understand what I mean, I've not been able to find any other case to just give a better explanation.

Also I can't put my memory to work over 3000Mhz on BIOS. As soon as I try to boot with it placed over that number, the system can't boot.

My computer, at this time, goes like this:

• Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3200Mhz CL16
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080Ti FE
  • PSU: Corsair RM850

Thaiphoon says my RAM is exactly like this, just to add more info:

I've also passed a Memtest86 this past night. It has shown me that I had 12 errors, but sadly I'm unable to understand what it means. I'll add it here too:

n7qA8In.jpg

mLIx4tJ.jpg

Drivers are up to date, BIOS was updated yesterday, etc. This has been happening for some months now, with different drivers, BIOS and SO, since I made a fresh Windows install just in case. I don't think this is the reason.

Hope this info is good, anything more can be requested if I'm able to provide.

Thanks in advance.

Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GTZR
This is G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series.

To put memory to work over 3000Mhz on BIOS, you also need to set DRAM timings and DRAM voltage whether by XMP or manually.

G.SKILL makes a line of memory for AMD:
F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX

Generally, if you get any errors in MemTest86 you should have the entire kit replaced under warranty.

Adricmb

Reputable
Oct 9, 2016
Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GTZR
This is G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series.

To put memory to work over 3000Mhz on BIOS, you also need to set DRAM timings and DRAM voltage whether by XMP or manually.

G.SKILL makes a line of memory for AMD:
F4-3200C14D-16GTZRX

Generally, if you get any errors in MemTest86 you should have the entire kit replaced under warranty.
I had timings and voltage set manually, XMP, anything, but just can't boot.

It used to work fine until I changed from Intel to AMD, so that's why I've not been sure if I had to just conclude it's a RAM problem.

Warranty was over this past November, I guess G.Skill had the timing perfectly measured for me to spend more money if so.