Bad RAM? Bad mobo? could ASUS be wrong about this?

TrueNorth335

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017
Pieces:

ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI DVI M.2 USB 3.1 Z270 ATX Motherboard

GeIL EVO FORZA DC 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)

Corsair H75

Intel BX80677I57600K 7th Gen

(PHAN-002GR) case

Mushkin MKNSSDRE1TB Reactor 1TB 6Gb SATA III 2.5inch SSD

Geforce 960

PSU Corsair 1000

Details:

This is the third gaming rig I have built and this is a new one to me. I installed everything like clockwork, made good use of cable management, made sure nothing was touching anything. CPU seated (no pins on a kaby laks? weird) and H75 installed with proper backplate. all assembled, plugged into surge and led lights on mobo and PSU. all plugs and connections were double checked before this step. pushed power button, light came on and top case fan tried to rotate, but it went hard-shutdown after approx. 1/8 to 1/4 seconds. fan did not rotate more than 1/4 turn. lights still on in mobo and PSU. push power agn, no response. unplug and wait until lights on mobo and PSU shut off, plug back in, lights come on, push power and same response, on for a super short time and auto shut off. almost like I held power button after 5 seconds, but far shorter time. no beep code, no video display. This led me to believe it is mobo and not CPU, PSU or RAM as no beep code and the super fast shutoff. I figure CPU would be more like 5 secs before shutoff if H75 not properly attached and not 1/8 of a second, but never had that issue before. It should be noted that I have had this weird 1/8 sec shutoff on my working rig after a power outage, but after a short time it would just boot up like normal, sometimes even 20 seconds after pushing the button, and the clock would be all wrong. Odd.

Troubleshooting:

Tried removing RAM from slots 1,3 and putting in 2/4, same result. Tried removing RAM altogether and same result. removed GPU, RAM and same result. Off surge strip, and then different outlet produced same result. remobing CMOS batt for 10 mins and same result. power-sw button on mobo and same result. unplug and plug in, wait for a short time and then try seemed to power on for almost a half second before hard shutoff. plug in and leave overnight, turn on in the AM, and same result.

I called ASUS thinking it was a bad board, and they stated the RAM was not compatible and was not on their listed compatibility list. Here is where I believe they are wrong and it is a bad board... Just board, CPU and no RAM should power on but not POST, and give a beep code, but stay powered, right? This would not cause shutoff and no beep code,or am I wrong? I want to make sure that buying another component will fix the problem, before trying it and figuring out I was right in the first place.

If RAM was the issue, how would the same problem exist if the RAM is removed to produce the same result?

Further, any other suggestions? I am at a loss for what to do next

Thanks for your help!

TrueNorth335

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017
CPU for Kaby Lake doesn't have pins? pretty weird but it is almost like a loose connector. I bent pins before and was able to bend them to install it without breaking one, PC works fine today. first time I saw one without any pins