Bad RAM? New computer build.

Norm Peterson

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
Programs like excel and flash etc were crashing so I ran Memtest86+. Using two sticks of 8gb DDR3 and I got a bunch of red lines so I removed the sticks one at a time and switched RAM slots to see which one was the issue or whether it was the Motherboard. As soon as I removed one of them the memtest ran clean so I assumed the removed stick was the bad one. I tested it to make sure and it was good, which confused me. I then tried both at once and there were no errors so I assumed it was just a seating issue and moved on.

Unfortunately the same issues started happening again after running my programs so I ran memtest again and once again got errors.

What's the issue here? Why do the sticks run both good and bad? I can't figure out which one is bad because as soon as I remove one it runs as clean.

As of right now I'm planning on just returning the RAM but the situation seems atypical so I don't want to go through that when it's something else.

Edit: Computer parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3fm9e

Thanks guys!

Solution
Might try raising the VTT or CPUVTT voltage a hair + 0.05, it's you MC (memory controller) voltage, if no joy, may simply be you did get a bad stick