Bad Ram or Bad Luck?

the_politician

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Alright, I need to know if this is bad luck or perhaps a Mobo/RAM compatibility issue, or just Corsair.

In January, I bought some Twin2XPC6400 C4 2x1GB sticks from Corsair to go along with my OC that I was doing on my system (specs to follow). I installed them just fine, and ran my system at stock for a month before deciding to OC it. I used the factory recommended 2.1V and set it to the specs of C4 (4-4-4-12) and did the rest of the OC by Wusy's old guide. All was great for about 2 months.....

I started getting random blue screens all over the place. Previously, the system had passed memtest86 on an overnight run (this is after the OC too), and now I couldn't even boot properly. So I RMA'd the ram, and got some replacement sticks for free. This time, I decide NOT to OC the system. Well, all had been running OK for about 2 more months and then just last week, I started with the blue screens again. Sure enough, I put in the RAM I got with my system (Value DDR2667) and the system is flawless. HOORAY for 2 more dead sticks!!!

So is this me w/ bad luck?
Does my RAM/Mobo not like each other (specs at bottom)
Does Corsair BLOW?
I just bought a new 8800GTS and a new Corsair (/pray!) HX620 PSU and I don't want to buy new PC6400 just yet....maybe in a month or two.

What are your opinions (try to keep the fanboi-ism for RAM companies to a minimum, but I am looking into OCZ or Patriot).

SPECS:

Conroe E6700 @ stock
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro
P5B Deluxe w/ WiFi
2 WD250GB
BFG 8800GTS OC2 320
CorsairHX 620W

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Corsair has been using non-Micron IC's in some of their lines of ram lately. People have complained about this and Corsair has lost return customers because of this cheap move. Even there Dominator line (PC2 6400's) has Promos chips which don't work well with some mobo's. I'm staying away from Corsair from now on.

I have heard people having all sorts of problems with Corsair ram (instability), just look how much problems you've had so far.

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Heard a lot of people having problems with Corsair recently too, which is a shame as it has always been a rock solid choice for as long as I can remember. I doubt highly it's a compatibility issue with the P5B deluxe. I've been using various speeds of Crucial Ballistix for a while and its great stuff so far. No compatibility issues, amazing overclocking from all the kits I've used, great RMA service, cheap too.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
I am sorry you had the issue with the memory, and especially after the 2nd RMA. If there is any way at all I can *** you here, please let me know.

With regards to Promos ICs, they are not "cheap" ICs. They work great and pretty much every performance memory company out there is using them. We would not use them and offer a lifetime warranty if they were not quality ICs.

nickc07

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Try to RMA for a Refund.

With Newegg I was able to do this before. I had already RMAed twice and decent POS PCU. After reading reviews on the PSU there were really bad rating. Newegg just gave me a credit and I ordered a different PSU.

PS. The only reason I bought this PSU in the first place was my friend has been using 3 of them for the pass 2 years with no prob.