Bad RAM or bad settings?

swr1986

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Dear Community,

I have a Toshiba Satellite L40-139. Back in December I purchased some new RAM for it and installed it (physically I mean) myself.

Since then I have been experiencing quite frequent blue screens despite it being a quite fresh, up-to-date, legal install of Windows 7.

The details for my new RAM are:

2x1Gb
DDR2 PC2-5300S
667MHz
Qimonda HYS64T128021HDL-3S-BI

It has different timings and speed to my old RAM but according to my laptop specs I think it should be compatable.

I have read that you can change the speed and timings settings in the BIOS usually but my BIOS doesn't have these options.

Do you think I have 'bad RAM' or is it an issue with my machine having the wrong settings for the speed/timings?

I contacted Toshiba tech support about the problem back in December but still no reply!!

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

The RAM you have is standard for your notebook. One or both of the RAM sticks could be defective - have you tried with a single RAM stick installed? With one stick installed, if you still get the BSOD, try switching the two sticks. Also, have you tried with your old RAM installed?

swr1986

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
I can't believe I didn't try using one stick at a time. Will try this out.

I just replaced the old sticks with the new ones, how do I 'add it to the system'? Is this to do with different timings?

When I asked "add to the system" I was merely asking if there was only 1 stick installed to begin with, and you just added a second one, leaving the old stick in as well.

But since you replaced both sticks, trying 1 at a time is definitely the best bet for you :)