Feb 4, 2018
So, I have a terrible dell motherboard that came with my prebuilt. I upgraded everything in the pc, so now I have a CX650M, GTX 1080 8GB Founders Edition, an i5 7400 which came with the prebuilt and the regular Dell tower case. The RAM I had was 8GB (2*4) GB and it was made by an unfamiliar company and looked terrible and felt cheap. So now, I have bought 2 of Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2400 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 8GB (4GBx2) CL16 BLS2K4G4D240FSB (Gray) from Amazon. And now I have 16GB and 4 sticks of 4gb of ram each. I correctly plugged in the new 16 gn of ram and took the old one out. Immediately I noticed a difference and it felt slower on some things. Then, I tried to play a match of Rainbow Six Siege after some time, and I got stuck on a screen. Then I held the power button and restarted the computer, but then I updated my gpu drivers (which failed to update) and tried to restart my system where I was sent to “ preparing Automatic repair” and then got sent to the BSoD, it would keep looping itself on and off and then to the BSoD and occasionally I could access the bios. I was thinking the ram is faulty but then I put the old ram in and it also didn’t work and it kept doing the same loop from the RAM before. I don’t know if my motherboard is faulty or the RAM is. I want to get a new motherboard anyway but I don’t know what to do right now. Please help. Side note, the ram I got came in 2 different packs. One pack had 2 sticks and the other had 2 for a total of 4. And when I looked in task manager the ram said “dimm” and the new ram I have from ballistix is “udimm” Do I have to return the ram? Or get a new motherboard? I can’t figure out what’s wrong. And is there a possibility that any of my other parts could have been ruined by this whole thing? Sorry for the terrible nooby decisions. Thank you.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018
Ballistix Sport LT Gray 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 UDIMM
https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/bls2k4g4d240fsb

Use of multiple kits of memory have no guarantee to be compatible together. Rated specifications are for memory in the form sold, not other combinations you decide to create.

Problem looks like a poor choice of memory. You may need to clear CMOS and reset memory settings in BIOS when changing memory.
Alright, but when I plugged it in the first time the computer recognized the ram and it said 15.9 gb and 4/4 slots were taken. Not sure if that means anything but I’ll try to reset the coin cell battery. Thank you.

Feb 4, 2018
Coin cell battery reset didn’t work. I’ll just get another motherboard and resolve the memory issue, but during this process, could it have damaged any of my components except the motherboard? I know it’s a lot to ask and these are difficult questions but; could my hard drive, RAM, graphics card or CPU be damaged from this process? Everything was in working condition before. Thanks again and sorry for the troubles.