[SOLVED] Bad router or cable modem?

Apr 5, 2020
I am having issues and not sure what might be the problem. For the past few weeks I get messages on my phone, tablet and TV that says my 5ghz connection has no internet and I switch to 2.4ghz and it connects to the internet. Later on I get the same error message on the 2.4ghz band and I switch to 5ghz and it connects to the internet. This goes back and forth daily and I am trying to determine if my router is faulty or the cable modem. Please help.

Solution
I am having issues and not sure what might be the problem. For the past few weeks I get messages on my phone, tablet and TV that says my 5ghz connection has no internet and I switch to 2.4ghz and it connects to the internet. Later on I get the same error message on the 2.4ghz band and I switch to 5ghz and it connects to the internet. This goes back and forth daily and I am trying to determine if my router is faulty or the cable modem. Please help.
The best way to troubleshoot connectivity problems is to have a wired connection to the router. That can eliminate your ISP and router as a problem quickly. Your router could still have a WIFI problem (overheating can cause loss of WIFI only).

kanewolf

Titan
It is possible that your router is changing WIFI channels on you and your devices don't like that channel. Put the router into manual channel selection. Pick a number around 40. See if that stabilizes your access.

kanewolf

Titan
The best way to troubleshoot connectivity problems is to have a wired connection to the router. That can eliminate your ISP and router as a problem quickly. Your router could still have a WIFI problem (overheating can cause loss of WIFI only).

Solution