bad sata controller or hdd failing? (asus k555l laptop)

Shahrukh_sajid

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
Hello good people,
I have an asus k555l laptop ( core i5-5200u, geforce 930m, 8gb Ram, 1tb HDD).
After using the laptop for 5 months, few days ago my laptop gave me a BSOD saying some system files were missing/corrupted with an error code i dont remember but im pretty sure there was 185 in the last digits.
i tried to repair the files with a win10 dvd and failed , ive tried multiple mediums(dvd and usb) to get win10 on it but it never boots to windows after installation. i checked the sata controller status(from BIOS) and on it , the dvd rom(port 1) is always there but the hard disc(port 0) sometimes shows up and sometimes does not .
also tried to get ubuntu on it via usb (universal usb installer)
ubuntu booted on the first try albeit after an error message (error failure reading sector "some code" from hd0). After that i shut down the laptop and powered it on again but this time the laptop started with the asus logo and next up said "please enter proper boot or recovery media and boot from there" . I DID NOT TRY ANYTHING AFTER THAT
what could be the issue here?
I come from a middle class Bangladeshi family and affording 1 single laptop is very hard for my family, Ive been using this laptop for almost all my college work so any fast solution would be very much appreciated.
humble thanks to everyone .

Solution
Hi there Shahrukh_sajid,

Just as jsmithepa said, the HDD is most probably failing/has failed. I believe that a failed drive should be covered by the warranty.

In case you have some data stored on it, you can try to access it with some data recovery tool for DOS mode.(as your system will not boot up) Keep in mind that this may not work as it would depend on what is wrong with the drive.

As for your other questions:
- Yes, a mechanical drive could fail in a day. On the other hand, it could last for many years. You should always back up the data stored on it and keep an eye on its health status by testing it from time to time with a brand specific tool.
- OS causes that 100% disk usage thing. Depending on the OS, there are multiple...

Shahrukh_sajid

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016

Thank you so much for the reply sir . fortunately my laptop is under warranty . i was thinking about sending it to the shop. do you think they'll replace the HDD for free?
also, is it possible for HDD to fail so soon after i bought it?
point to note is i used to get extensive 100% disk usage after booting to windows almost regularly.
do you think that could've damaged it?
thank you again.

And you could have done what? Nothing. The OS will do what it needs to do.

It's not unusual for the OS to keep loading stuff AFTER you gotten a sign-on screen, but it should subside after 30s-1m or so.

If you feel like doing anything on your own, follow instruction and attempt to restore laptop to its factory setting and go from there.

Shahrukh_sajid

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016

yes, it would do that for about a minute or so i guess.
factory settings ? already tried that . "load factory defaults" from the bios.
no improvements whatsoever. I think you're right and its bad HDD. fervently hoping its nothing worse. I can deal with a New HDD ; cant deal with a new MOBO.
Thank you so much anyways.
I'll update if something happens.

Hi there Shahrukh_sajid,

Just as jsmithepa said, the HDD is most probably failing/has failed. I believe that a failed drive should be covered by the warranty.

In case you have some data stored on it, you can try to access it with some data recovery tool for DOS mode.(as your system will not boot up) Keep in mind that this may not work as it would depend on what is wrong with the drive.

As for your other questions:
- Yes, a mechanical drive could fail in a day. On the other hand, it could last for many years. You should always back up the data stored on it and keep an eye on its health status by testing it from time to time with a brand specific tool.
- OS causes that 100% disk usage thing. Depending on the OS, there are multiple threads on different fixes. Once you get your laptop back, it may be a good idea to try to sort this out.
- Yes, a drive that is constantly reading/writing, most probably, will have a shorter lifespan than a drive that is used rarely.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution