Question Bad screen flicker and tear RX 5700 XT

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Evening all,

At a bit of a loss, recently replaced my GTX 1070 (which had sadly faulted) witha Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse. Now when I am playing either Wildlands or other FPS games, I am suffering flicker and screen tearing, when panning up and down I get horizontal lines across the screen.

This never happened with the 1070. I thought it was possibly the EVGA G3 550W PSU not having enough juice, so I replaced that with a Corsair TX-M650 and it has made no difference.

I originally uninstalled the drivers with DDU before installing the new AMD drivers.
I have no ideas as I thought the 5700 XT was meant to be a much better card than the 1070, I'm just not seeing it though.

Set up;
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Cooler: Antec Mercury 120 RGB
RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200MHz (XMP Profile 2)
MB: MSI B450M Mortar
GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT
SSD: 2 x WD SN500 NVMe
HDD: 2TB 7200RPM SATA III
Case: In Win 301
PSU: Corsair TX-M650

Monitor in use is an Acer ED273 curved 27" 1080p at 144Hz. Freesync is turned on.

Aug 24, 2019
Not very good at this, but maybe lower your overclocks if you've done any? If you haven't, try downclocking your card and test out the games again. I'm guessing that's the problem because this only happens when the card is under heavy load and the same thing happened to me when I first got my graphics card.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
screen taring has nothing to do with the psu

it is your monitor and gpu not being on the same timings, not showing images at the same pace, so you get the tearing

at what resolution and refresh rate have you set your monitor? what monitor do you have?

are you connected to a monitor with freesync or gsync? usign hdmi or display port?

please give us details of the monitor, resolution and refresh rate set on windows

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
screen taring has nothing to do with the psu

it is your monitor and gpu not being on the same timings, not showing images at the same pace, so you get the tearing

at what resolution and refresh rate have you set your monitor? what monitor do you have?

are you connected to a monitor with freesync or gsync? usign hdmi or display port?

please give us details of the monitor, resolution and refresh rate set on windows

Freesync is definitely enabled. Monitor is set to 1920 x 1080 @ 144Hz in windows. Using Display Port cable.
Monitor details are in the original post... Acer ED273 1800R curved 1080p 144Hz monitor.