[SOLVED] Bad screen tearing. I have tried everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2020
I've had a good system for a couple of years now that I designed for gaming. AMD CPU and RX 580 GPU, running Windows 7 64bit, with a TV monitor displaying at 60hz. It's a decent build and has been reliably and consistently enabled me to play all modern games at maxed out settings, without overheating or lagging, or the need for overclocking anything.
Suddenly, seemingly overnight I start to notice some tearing on my desktop and browser windows. At first I think nothing much of it, since nothing has changed hardware, software, or settings-wise recently, so I dismissively shut down my system after a night of watching Netflix. However, after I boot up my system the next day I notice a massive amount of screen tearing happening while gaming, making every and any game completely unplayable. The browsing windows show moderate signs of tearing, but surprisingly all videos played from any source, meaning from Netflix on my browser to personal video files and discs played thru media players like VLC, all work at high resolution without any issues. Somehow videos are unaffected.

So far, to attempt to resolve the issue I have tried:

Cleaning all dust from the GPU,
making sure all cables inside and outside the computer are secured properly,
replacing my HDMI cord twice,
inspecting my GPU and TV input ports for damage or looseness,
using DisplayPort connection on GPU instead of HDMI,
using 3 different monitors and 2 TVs, all with different screen refresh rates and resolutions,
lowering and changing GPU, in-game, and screen resolution settings to focus on performance by disabling things like AA and enabling error-correction such as v-sync & freesync and also enabling Triple Buffering,
testing my new and more-than-adequate power supply,
cleanly reinstalling 6 different drivers for my AMD gpu including 1 that came on-disc when I bought it, 3 others that have worked and been upgraded from over the years, and 2 new up to date versions,
using on-board video instead to see if my GPU is dying,
ensuring there are no other electrical appliances within close proximity to interfere,
resetting all GPU and screen settings to default.
I may have tried other troubleshooting fixes, but I don't remember. It's hard to remember since I've been trying to resolve this issue for weeks now without any luck.

I have scoured every forum for ideas of how and what to troubleshoot next, but I fear I've run out of options, and soon patience too. If anyone out there has any different suggestions or think they may have figured out my problem please share your wisdom with me. I am desperate and feeling hopeless.

Thank you for reading this far.

Last edited:
Solution
Ah, that's definitely not screen tearing. This is what screen tearing looks like. It's an issue of display rate and a GPU's refresh rate.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg_0D96ZGSY

This looks like artifacting more typical of a GPU with failing VRAM. What was your old power supply before your "new, more than adequate" power supply? A junk power supply could very well have damaged your GPU.

Before RMAing the GPU, it's a long shot, but you could try ruling out an issue with the OS itself with the drivers. Is this a legit copy of Windows? Because 99% of the time, when Windows 7 Ultimate, which cost around $250, pops up on a PC with no components that cost anywhere near as much, it's a pirated...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Is this actually screen tearing, as in a weird artifact when the graphics are not in-line with the monitor's refresh rate or more general glitches? It's useful to make sure we're all on the same page with terminology.

Also, it's strongly recommended to post all your specs.

May 29, 2020
Is this actually screen tearing, as in a weird artifact when the graphics are not in-line with the monitor's refresh rate or more general glitches? It's useful to make sure we're all on the same page with terminology.

Also, it's strongly recommended to post all your specs.

Here is a video of the problems I am experiencing. I believe that it is screen tearing.

View: https://youtu.be/ZXNMR1B1k5M

Also, here are my computer's specs:

OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
CPU - AMD Athlon X4 860K @ 3.7 ghz
Motherboard - MSI A68HM-E33 V2
PSU - Corsair RM750x
GPU - Sapphire AMD RX 570 8gb
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1866 16gb
Fans - 4 Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 heavy duty case fans, 1 G.Skill Turbulance II memory fan, and 1 Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 cpu cooler.
TV - Sharp LC-C3237UT

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Ah, that's definitely not screen tearing. This is what screen tearing looks like. It's an issue of display rate and a GPU's refresh rate.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg_0D96ZGSY

This looks like artifacting more typical of a GPU with failing VRAM. What was your old power supply before your "new, more than adequate" power supply? A junk power supply could very well have damaged your GPU.

Before RMAing the GPU, it's a long shot, but you could try ruling out an issue with the OS itself with the drivers. Is this a legit copy of Windows? Because 99% of the time, when Windows 7 Ultimate, which cost around $250, pops up on a PC with no components that cost anywhere near as much, it's a pirated version. You can't be sure about drivers getting along with a pirated version of an end-of-lifed OS that is receiving no support.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS