[SOLVED] Bad sector on my HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 16, 2020
Hi so im using my old hdd. And i just found out that it has 2 bad sector? Do i need to change it immediately? Or i can use it in the meantime?

Solution
Ok.
2 pending sectors is not critical. But they need to be resolved.
Resolving is done by overwriting. After that pending status gets cleared and depending on overwrite result sector is considered fine or gets relocated.

You can resolve pending sectors with mhdd (scan with relocate).
Probably victoria can do it too.
Btw i remember that this 2 bad sector was last year.but still its 2. Same number no adding.
In normal use bad sectors are invisible to the user. The drive controller automatically maps them out and replaces with a sector in the spare area. When the bad sectors become visible it is an indication that the spare sector map is full and the drive can no longer map them out. It will only get worse as time goes on. It might even remain at 2 right up to the point of total failure. But, it's your data at risk so no skin off anyones back.

Reactions: Jaysonthesupercute
Heres the link
I asked for HDtune screenshot.
It looks like this:

hd-tune-001.jpg

Ok.
Resolving is done by overwriting. After that pending status gets cleared and depending on overwrite result sector is considered fine or gets relocated.

Reactions: Jaysonthesupercute
Solution
Jul 16, 2020
Ok.

Thank you so much btw can you send me link on how to do it? Im noob sorry

Jul 16, 2020
Status
Not open for further replies.