Bad Sector Repair

barbarianhorde

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Hey guys, per the title I need some help repairing bad sectors on one of my drives. The drive in question is a 3TB HD, my problem is I wiped in Disk part prior to the issues starting, so I went back into Windows, went to administrative tools>storage> Disk Management as I usually do, selected the disk tried to create a new simple volume but it just freezes and stops responding at that point, so I can’t even create a new partition on the drive, which means that while it does show up under my computer I can’t really do anything with it, normally I would right click it go to tools and click on error checking and I’d run through that process and it would normally fix the issue as it has once before, but since the drive isn’t formatted I can’t do that. I then thought about going into CMD, selecting the disk and running chkdsk but it just tells me that the parameter isn’t correct. I tried using DBAN and completely formatting it and overwriting it to see if that would help at all, not that I expected it would but I figured it wouldn’t hurt, that didn’t work either.

I tried to use a couple of the freeware programs to fix the issue, I also tried EaseUS but I can’t seem to get it fixed that way either, in EaseUS I can’t check the partition, the only option I have is wipe it, or do a surface scan, which I’m doing a surface scan as I type this. I went back into Disk part to see if it had anything informative to show and after listing the disks it shows this disk with a disk error listed next to it. At this point I’m not sure if there’s anything else I can do, the drive may just be nuked, though if you guys have any suggestions I would be more than happy to hear them, they would also be greatly appreciated! Lastly, luckily there wasn’t anything on the drive, it used to be my backup drive, but I got a new 10TB external drive to use, so I was formatting this one to use it as my second gaming HD since my first 3TB gaming drive only has 15 GB of free space, though even if I can fix this I’m kinda weary to use this drive as a second gaming drive, it’s still under warranty so the best option may be to just RMA it, but I’ll hold off until I hear from you guys, I may have simply overlooked something somewhere along the line. Again if you have any advice/suggestions I would greatly appreciate anything you guys have to offer.

barbarianhorde

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Surprisingly after I posted this, I managed to create several small partitions on the disk, I then repaired the formatted partitions, deleted all of the created partitions so it was back to the whole 2.72TB of unformulated disk space, then I formatted the whole block, this time around it formatted without a single problem and it's back to it's normal self again, being that this is the second time it's happened I'm inclined to RMA the drive since it's still under warranty as I really don't want this to happen when it's full of files.