Bad sectors in newly purchased HDD!!!

G

Hi, I just bought a brand new IBM Deskstar 60GXP 40Gb 7200RP IDE harddisk, and when I formatted it for the FAT32 system it had some 2Mb of bad sectors spread out over maybe 3 different places of the HDD. I am wondering if this is cause enough to get it replaced by a new one, or if it is nothing to worry about. I don't know how common bad sectors are and if I should demand that all sectors are in working order on a new HDD. (I mean, 2Mb is really nothing compared to 40Gb, but if this means I might expect more worse trouble from it in the future, then maybe I should get a new one right away?)

Best regards,

Nislas

G

I would Take It Back Get a New one - You will fell better at the end.

Thanks
Duzmor

Windows 2000 Pro

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i would definately take it back, and have them give you a new one...
sure, 2 megs is not much, but then when 2 megs turns into gigs, and 10's of gigs, then you are going to wish that you had taken it back.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

Especially if you store something inportant on it. I have had a HD with bad sectors, they like to spread. Not a good thing.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yup...not a good thing at all...
BUT, if you dont like dealing with the return section at the store, then you COULD live with a cumulatively failing drive, which will eventually be almost completely bad sectors...which would render the drive unuseable...
so i think that if you havent alreaady, you should head back to where the drive was purhcased, and get a different one...NOW...now that isnt an order, it is an urgent suggestion.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-