Question Bad sectors on HDD, CHKDSK repairs wrong drive on restart

gallagher111

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
Hello everyone, hope you are all doing well!
So i recently bought another SATA hard drive, seagate 500gb
after a failed windows installation 'im pretty sure due to a scratched install disk'
i made a new disk and tried a second install.
I'm trying to switch Windows from current 320gb to the 500gb, due to bigger capacity and read/write speeds
just before the second installation i received drive failure imminent, please back up and replace on startup
i re-connected my old 320gb HD. ran easus partition master and done a surface test, it come back with bad sectors.
So i therefor tried to run CHKDSK in admin, system 32/chkdsk /i /f /r. This then returns the message;
the type of the file system is ntfs.
Cannot lock current drive
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is being used by another process. would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?
if i enter Y, the system restarts and tries to repair the wrong drive (320gb) and not the one named in command prompt (500gb)
is there a way to find out which process is using the second drive i'm trying to fix bad sectors on. any program i can use to fix these bad sectors rather than chkdsk,
or any way to fix restart fixing the wrong drive?
thanks for your time :)

gallagher111

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
the drive is formatted into ntfs
but the problem is i cant currently install windows onto the new drive as it has bad sectors.
im thinking i may be able to fix/recover/repair bad sectors on the new drive if i can get chkdsk around repairing the current drive instead of the new (bad sector) drive on startup. or stop chkdsk from returning with the drive is being used by another process,
I'm well aware of the possiblity of just replacing a drive, but the place ordered from, after some searching up, seems to have a fairly bad reputation on the case of hard drives for returns. i would like to at least know i tried my best, or tried my best to seek help to fix the problem before jumping to replace it. at least that way i have learnt something incase any kinda similar situation occurs again.
So running chkdsk and setting to repair on restart, repairs the wrong hard drive
Maybe if i can get a workaround so it repairs the drive in question, i can repair the bad sectors to an extent.
added info using seagate tools, i can see my current 12 year old hard drive has 14000 hours uptime. the new hard drive i just received has only 2000+ hours uptime, surely if i my current hard drive has an added 12000 hours uptime, there must be some way to repair bad sectors on the new drive for such a difference?
thankyou