[SOLVED] Bad sectors on HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2022
Hello,
I encountered a few times a "beep"/"click" sound of my HDD (ST2000DM008, 2 years old) while playing games, probably read/write head was skipping bad sectors at that moment (I'm not an expert). I tried SeaTools, but both Fix All Long and Generic Long failed. Then I checked CrystalDiskInfo and HDD Tune and the status was good (without error) but with 0.6% of bad sector. If SeaTools failed it, could checkdisk help or not? I have only games there so I was thinking about keeping it till it dies, but I wanted to know, if it's somehow possible to relocate bad sectors in its current form (when SeaTools failed).

QtVe0Ag.png

Solution
As modern drives automatically map out bad sectors, and replace them with sectors held in spare just for such occasions, you will never under normal circumstances actually see any bad sectors. When you DO start to see them it means that the pool of spare sectors (which starts out quite large) has been exhausted. This means that the drive is failing and requires backup and replacement ASAP. If you wait you risk losing the drive contents.
Feb 3, 2022
what do you mean relocate bad sectors? it is a physical disk.
they got mark as bad sectors and will not be used

I wanted to say whether it is possible to ensure that disk won't use these sectors (and if it's making sound when skipping it). Because I have a feeling that some of the games are still installed on those bad sectors, if it's even possible... as I said I'm not an expert (I had to verify integrity of my games a few times for past three weeks) -> maybe reinstall all libraries?

2 years old...is it still under warranty?

Sadly, it's like 2 years and 2 months so no.

As modern drives automatically map out bad sectors, and replace them with sectors held in spare just for such occasions, you will never under normal circumstances actually see any bad sectors. When you DO start to see them it means that the pool of spare sectors (which starts out quite large) has been exhausted. This means that the drive is failing and requires backup and replacement ASAP. If you wait you risk losing the drive contents.

Solution
Hello,
I encountered a few times a "beep"/"click" sound of my HDD (ST2000DM008, 2 years old) while playing games, probably read/write head was skipping bad sectors at that moment (I'm not an expert). I tried SeaTools, but both Fix All Long and Generic Long failed. Then I checked CrystalDiskInfo and HDD Tune and the status was good (without error) but with 0.6% of bad sector. If SeaTools failed it, could checkdisk help or not? I have only games there so I was thinking about keeping it till it dies, but I wanted to know, if it's somehow possible to relocate bad sectors in its current form (when SeaTools failed).

QtVe0Ag.png
Backup your data while you still can and get a new disk. Not sure where your located, but if it's the UK then I'd recommend buying one of the computer retailers like Ebuyer, Scan and Overclockers. From my experience Amazon package drives horribly.

Status
Not open for further replies.