[SOLVED] Bad stability of my new PC build.

[C]oopeZz

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Hello all,

This is first time I asking for a help. I was able to fix things by myself until now. A few weeks ago I builded brand new PC (components are bellow). First, I installed Win 7 x64. I experienced crashes during gameplays, freezing programs etc. Because of this, I bought Win 10 x64, I had a clue that I'm missing important updates. Well, after complete setup of Win 10 (Like installing drivers, C++, DirectX etc...) I experience the exact same problems like previously on Win 7. Everytime it start's to be "Not responding", then crash without any message. Every importants I mention bellow. Any clues why my games crashing like that?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PSU: 650W
RAM: 16GB DDR4
MB: B450M Gaming Plus
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
SSD (with OS): Kingston 120 GB
* SSD have about 60 GB free space

Games:
Colin Mcrae Rally 2.0 (2000) - Crashing
ePSXe (PS1 Emulator)(2016) - Crashing
WRC 7 (2017) - No problems
Crossfire (2007) - Crashing
Richard Burns Rally (2004) - No problems
Trackmania United (2008) - Crashing
Fallout 4 (2015) - No problems
Final Fantasy XIII (2009) - No problems
Final Fantasy XIII - 2 (2011) - No problems
Counter Strike Source (2004) - No problems

Q: Overheating?
A: No. WRC 7 Can make my GPU about 92 °C and never crashed. ePSXe make my GPU about 60 °C and crashing. Max for GPU was 92 °C and for CPU about 75 °C. Nothing else have these temperatures.

Q: DxDiag?
A: No problems... DirectX 12 found.

Q: BSOD?
A: NEVER happend before.

Q: Performance?
A: My CPU usually working about 70% while playing. RAM are free enough to handle a lot of things while playing or working on something (about 10 GB free usually).

Q: Drivers up to date?
A: GPU updated when new update is released. I also tried older versions, no luck. I have no missing drivers in device manager. All Window updates are done succesfully.

v037Hlk.png

Solution
Guess time to back up a bit.

1) Sounds like you did all the windows updates but did you go to the motherboard manufacturer's web site and get the latest chipset, storage, LAN, audio, and Ethernet drivers?

2) Is the bios the latest one available? Newer Ryzen bios's improved memory compatibility

3) Is the RAM XMP profile active and is the RAM operating at the speed it's supposed to be?

4) Was the RAM bought as a kit or individual sticks? Might try removing one stick of RAM at a time and seeing if that helps
All games up to date? All patches and bugfixes installed?

Are the games installed on the SSD or the hard drive?
check RAM by memtest.org usb autoinstaller
check the SSD by Kingston tool
https://www.kingston.com/us/support/technical/ssdmanager

and the seagate by seatools

update the BIOS by M-Flash within the BIOS itself, like:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRyFMf0D9Lc

BIOS to download:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-GAMING-PLUS

From which brand and model is the RAM and power supply ?

How hot is the CPU getting while gaming?

How do the games crash? Just back to desktop or restart of windows or freeze or PC shuts down or else?

Any tuning tools installed?

Do you use anti virus tools?

run 3dmark basic edition , click on compare result online after that and post the address from your upcoming browser
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5775-3dmark.html

If your gpu is going above 83C you have a temperature problem. 83 is the limit of the card and it should throttle at that point.

What is the make of the card? You need to install their control software or MSI Afterburner and set a much more aggressive fan curve.

When your computer is running, visually inspect the card to ensure the fans are operating.

What case and how many fans? You can try taking the side panel off and pointing a floor fan directly in and see if that helps.

If you were at 92C for a significant amount of time the card may be damaged.

[C]oopeZz

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Well, I'm not on PC right now so I can answer only a few things:

Games are up to date and possible fixes ar applied.
I install games on HDD, like I always do.
RAMs are Patriot, PSU is Njoy
CPU is up to 80°C
Games are usually freeze, the audio freeze too. Then the game is in "Not responding" state and them it just shut down to desktop.
No tuning or antivirus tools.
I will do RAM test, 3dmark benchmark, seatools and flash new BIOS ASAP. Thanks!

[C]oopeZz

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
If your gpu is going above 83C you have a temperature problem. 83 is the limit of the card and it should throttle at that point.

What is the make of the card? You need to install their control software or MSI Afterburner and set a much more aggressive fan curve.

When your computer is running, visually inspect the card to ensure the fans are operating.

What case and how many fans? You can try taking the side panel off and pointing a floor fan directly in and see if that helps.

If you were at 92C for a significant amount of time the card may be damaged.

I heard that GPUs handle much more temperature than this... What's the global limit of temperature for CPU and GPU? Card is ok, still working. I'm checking temperature when I'm playing. I have small PC case, not any additional fans in it. Also, when I played game which made my card go over 90 °C, that game not crashed. Like.. NEVER. So, maybe temperature is not ok but it is not the reason why game just crash (also when I set graphic to low and reduced temperature). Card looks ok, I can take photo. I wanted bigger case but I have no space to store my PC in my room.

Edit: GPU is Asus.

They can handle more without hard failing but they're not meant to operate there for any lengthy amount of time. Here's just one example but all the googling tends to agree:

Different games stress different components of the GPU in different ways so one may not crash while another does. Not saying heat is the main cause of your issue but your temps are too high regardless and it needs to be addressed for the long haul.

Still think it needs higher fan speed and maybe direct airflow. Is the GPU a blower style or does it have fans that vent into the case? You should have at least one case fan (preferably two) as front intakes and one (preferably two) in the rear/top as exhaust.

Reactions: [C]oopeZz

[C]oopeZz

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
They can handle more without hard failing but they're not meant to operate there for any lengthy amount of time. Here's just one example but all the googling tends to agree:

Different games stress different components of the GPU in different ways so one may not crash while another does. Not saying heat is the main cause of your issue but your temps are too high regardless and it needs to be addressed for the long haul.

Still think it needs higher fan speed and maybe direct airflow. Is the GPU a blower style or does it have fans that vent into the case? You should have at least one case fan (preferably two) as front intakes and one (preferably two) in the rear/top as exhaust.
Well, I believe that can be the issue, question is: Why the games which stress GPU less crashes than the games which "burning" my GPU? Also, maybe my monitoring software lying, who knows. My GPU have one fan. As i said, I have small PC case, I was happy when I managed to close it. Behind GPU is CPU fan so maybe the hot air from CPU going to the back of GPU (not directly but its close enough). So bigger case with additional fan... Not happy to spent more money on it. Anyway, Im still not sure if I experiencing crashes because of this. I always monitored temps and never had issues. Any other clues?

Guess time to back up a bit.

1) Sounds like you did all the windows updates but did you go to the motherboard manufacturer's web site and get the latest chipset, storage, LAN, audio, and Ethernet drivers?

2) Is the bios the latest one available? Newer Ryzen bios's improved memory compatibility

3) Is the RAM XMP profile active and is the RAM operating at the speed it's supposed to be?

4) Was the RAM bought as a kit or individual sticks? Might try removing one stick of RAM at a time and seeing if that helps

Solution

[C]oopeZz

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Oh ok:

1. Done, chipset was outdated (I installed it from CD so maybe old driver)
  2. Done, ver. 1.4 if I remember correctly
  3. Done but bandwidth is on 1,3 MHz, my RAMs can maintain 2,6 MHz on 12 V. 12 V are ok but the operating speed maybe not. In BIOS shows 2,6 MHz. Maybe I missed something and have it correct already.
  4. They are as kit, 2x 8GB Patriot RAMs
Now I downloading 3dmark to try it.

Thanks for your time. I'll try play something ASAP. I'm still worried about temperatures, I thought I have it ok before... Here are CPU-Z screenshots:

wd63inE.png
bKPIMwI.png
0CqxG8J.png
u2VlmQ5.png
yOPfeMe.png

[C]oopeZz

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Here are my results from 3Dmark + my temps. I dunno what other temps means, hope nothing important:
w8m2Z5I.jpg
x7KHqet.png

EDIT: Played Trackmania for a hour and no crash (Game crashing always about after 30 minutes). GPU was still little overheating (85 °C). So temperatures doesn't shut down my games. Want to try endurance race in Gran Turismo 2 on ePSXe emulator, I was NEVER able to complete any endurance which you must drive for 2 hours in a row, always crashed.

Last edited:

Abstuurz

Proper
Feb 19, 2019
Do you have that Kingston SSD as System drive i guess?
Download the Kingston SSD Manager and update the firmware of that ssd.
Had similiar problems with some computers... after long time searching we found that the ssd manufactured by kingston needed a firmware to fix.
since then no probs anymore.

[C]oopeZz

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Do you have that Kingston SSD as System drive i guess?
Download the Kingston SSD Manager and update the firmware of that ssd.
Had similiar problems with some computers... after long time searching we found that the ssd manufactured by kingston needed a firmware to fix.
since then no probs anymore.
Thanks for hint but as I confirmed: No crashes last days (about 8 hours of gaming). That's big change when I compare it with issues before.