Question Bad System Build Issues - Narrowed to possibly Fans?

Aug 16, 2020
Hello Everyone.

I have been at this for a few weeks now. I feel like I am literally about to bang my head into a wall.

Here is the build:

Asus ROG Strix Helios Mid-Tower Case
Asus ROG Thor 1200 Fully Modular Power Supply
Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 Wi-Fi Motherboard
Intel I9 9900K CPU
Asus ROG Strix LC 360 All-in-One Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Super Advanced GPU
G.Skill Trident DDR4 - 64 GB Memory
Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB - M.2 MVMe V-NAND drive for OS
WD - 2TB M.2 drive for data

A few weeks ago, I got all of my hardware shipped and started building my new system. I have built several systems previously, so I was very comfortable on the build. I was also quite excited about this new build, so I didn't do what I normally do. I did not attempt a start up before putting everything in the case. Essentially, I just built the entire system, and attempted to start it. Immediately upon attempting to start the system, it would attempt a power on, the fans would turn maybe half to a quarter turn, and everything would shut off. It also made a clicking sound when it attempted to start, and nothing would show up on screen. Also at that time, all of the front RGB fans (Rosewill RGB fans, and the top fans (AIO cooler fans - Original ROG fans) would light up with their RGB. The system would not POST, and would not Boot.

During the installation, I had removed the front fans that came with the Helios case and replaced them with the Rosewill fans 120mm so that they would be RGB. The case came with a fan board installed on the side of the case, but it was the long 3-pin connectors. I bypassed that controller board, and just used the one that came with the Rosewill fans. I have done this many times previously with other builds, and I have never had an issue.

At that point, over the next week or so, I went through every single troubleshooting method that I could come up with to narrow down the area of the problem. I pulled out the all of the parts, and setup the motherboard, AIO Cooler, and power supply onto my desk. It still would not start. I removed the CPU and reset the AIO cooler, changed cables, tried with different memory combinations, removed my power supply from my previous gaming system, among many other things, and it still would not post. So I thought OK, it is the motherboard.

I ordered another motherboard from a different reseller. However, it was the same make and model. At that point, I also ordered a new Asus Thor power supply as well just to take that problem out of the mix.

Both arrived, and I installed the CPU, AIO cooler, memory, and connected it all outside of the case. The new motherboard started. I was very excited, as I thought that I had fixed the problem (so I thought). I then updated the BIOS while out of the case for stability. I then installed in the case with minimal connections and tested the boot. It booted fine. Then I started connecting devices. I then reconnected the fan hubs, and attempted to start the system. It made the clicking sound and shut down. OK. IT IS THE FANS! I started disconnecting devices and attempting to start it again, but no luck. I then removed everything again out on the desk. No luck. I removed the CMOS, and reset it. Then it powered up, but none of the RGB on the AIO cooler radiator (3 fans) worked. The RGB on the actual cooler does work though. At that point, I decided to go through the Windows installation thinking that the RGB piece might work once Armory Crate or Aura was loaded on the system. I was wrong. Windows 10 is fully loaded on the system now, but none of the fan RGB's work.

I also took the fan hubs out of the mix by getting some 3-pin splitters for the ARGB headers on the motherboard. Those did not work either.

So I ordered 8 new AsiaHorse (different brand) thinking that I will just take Rosewill AND the ROG fans (on the AIO cooler out of the mix. SURELY entirely new fans will fix this issue.

Today I shut down the system to attempt installation of the AisiaHorse fans. I connected one single fan to the fan hub. Then the hub to one of the fan headers, and went straight from the fan hub to the Aura ARGB header. Then I connected the SATA power, and attempted to power up. The single fan flashed one LED, never even turned, the system shut down, and it would not start back up.

I then had to shut down and remove the CMOS again to get it to boot.

At this point, I am at a loss. I have even changed all of the fans from DC to PCH as well. Still no luck. I do feel that it HAS to be something to do with the fan power, as I have been able to replicate the system lockup/shutdown with different fan models. I feel that I do know that it is not power supply, CPU, memory, or motherboard, as I am on my 2nd motherboard, 2nd PSU, and the system has run for days with no issues without the other fans. Are there any specific fan related settings that I should be looking at? I am at a complete loss here.

Thank you all,

Jonas Valdez