[SOLVED] Bad System Config Error

ChildishWasTaken

Prominent
Apr 1, 2019
I haven't been able to fix this error. I've used every available solution. I've tried every advanced option from Windows 10 self. And they always fail, I can't run them.

Then I came across this thread: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-fix-the-windows-10-bad-system-config-info-error.2751312/

But the last option, the Command Prompt one didn't work either. The last command, CD Regback seems to fail. And I know for sure Windows is installed on my C: Hard Drive, so i'ts the correct path.

Does anyone have a solution for me?

Greetings

Solution
Test the drive as follows.

Download Seatools for DOS or Western digital lifeguard tools for DOS. Create bootable media on USB. Boot to the USB media. Run the Short test (Short DST or quick test) and the Long test (Long generic).

If it fails any test, replace the drive. Or, you can just try a different drive, install Windows on it and see if you still have the same issues. Be sure when installing Windows that there are NO other drives attached to the motherboard EXCEPT for the USB or optical disk drive you are installing windows FROM.
It would be helpful in order for the community to help you, if you would indicate WHAT error you are talking about, and expand on your problem with a bit more information. It's nice that you referenced another thread instead of necro posting in it, but from one person to another there are usually some distinct differences that set one problem apart from another and knowing what YOUR problem is, exactly, is a lot more helpful than knowing what somebody else's problem was that was similar.

Reactions: ChildishWasTaken

ChildishWasTaken

Prominent
Apr 1, 2019
It would be helpful in order for the community to help you, if you would indicate WHAT error you are talking about, and expand on your problem with a bit more information. It's nice that you referenced another thread instead of necro posting in it, but from one person to another there are usually some distinct differences that set one problem apart from another and knowing what YOUR problem is, exactly, is a lot more helpful than knowing what somebody else's problem was that was similar.

The Error thats shows on the blue screen is: 'Bad System Config Error'. I can't boot my pc, it always goes to the blue screen.

I've tried all the options listed in the link I provided. And the options Windows gives me in the blue screen don't even function, even if I wanted to use them.

ChildishWasTaken

Prominent
Apr 1, 2019
What are you full system hardware specifications?

CPU, motherboard, power supply (EXACT model, as listed on the power supply itself), memory part or kit numbers, storage devices, etc.

Here are my hardware parts:
ASUS H110-PLUS
CoolerMaster GM Series G550M
Crucial - DDR4 - 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB
Cooler Master Hyper TX3i
Intel Core i5-6600K / 3.5 GHz
MSI N750Ti TF 2GD5/OC

Thanks for helping.

So, the bad system config error is USUALLY related to a problem with the boot partition or configuration. Have you recently done anything that may have affected any of the partitions or information stored on the operating system drive?

If not, this might simply be due to an old failing drive. Obviously there could be other issues but this is the most likely reason and it may be necessary that you reinstall Windows.

Have you added or removed any hardware or drives recently? Anything that was done between the time it was working normally and when it began having problems?

ChildishWasTaken

Prominent
Apr 1, 2019
So, the bad system config error is USUALLY related to a problem with the boot partition or configuration. Have you recently done anything that may have affected any of the partitions or information stored on the operating system drive?

If not, this might simply be due to an old failing drive. Obviously there could be other issues but this is the most likely reason and it may be necessary that you reinstall Windows.

Have you added or removed any hardware or drives recently? Anything that was done between the time it was working normally and when it began having problems?

Well before I had even more problems, one being the one I'm having right now. I fixed it by changing my Motherboard. The one I had before was: Gigabyte GA-B150-HD3P. So I did change some hardware, but it worked fine for a couple of weeks. Then this error came.

My C: Hard drive is a SSD card, I will look at it and maybe buy a new one + reinstall windows on it. I hope it helps.

What kind of SSD card? Do you have the MOST recent motherboard bios version installed? Could even just be a power supply issue. Given the assumed age of that one based on the model, I'd guess it's got quite few years under it's belt and wasn't a fantastic model to start with. Bad PSU can look like just about any other hardware issue, because all hardware relies on it.

ChildishWasTaken

Prominent
Apr 1, 2019
Hello,

I have a somewhat old Samsung EVO 120GB SSD Card.
My PSU is 500 watt, I thought it would be enough for the parts that I have. Also I searched for my Bios version in the Command Prompt. This was my result:
BIOSVersion 3402

I bought the pc in 2016 btw, except for that new motherboard of course. I've had trouble ever since I bought it. Getting it fixed, and then having the problem returning after a couple of weeks. Also Windows10 has been reinstalled a couple of times now.

Cheers

What is the MODEL of your SSD card? What exactly do you mean by "card"? Is it an M.2 drive? If so, is it a SATA or PCI M.2 drive? Knowing the exact model of that drive would help to answer those questions.

Your BIOS version is SEVERELY out of date. I would update to version 3805 (Ignore the newer version which is Beta and only related to the Windows ME tool as far as I can tell.) and you do not need to update to each version in between. You ONLY need to update to that version.

Be sure you take the time to find and watch, or read, some instructional guides on updating the BIOS on YOUR motherboard model or one very similar to it that is the same brand and chipset, before trying to update. If you don't do it correctly you could brick your system. It is perfectly safe to update if you take the time to learn how to do it correctly and then do it as directed. Do not ever stop the system while it is updating the BIOS. It can be updated from within the BIOS so you do not need to be able to boot into windows to do it but you do not want to try to update the BIOS if the system shuts off or has errors while IN the BIOS, and if it does, then you likely have a hardware failure of some kind or that motherboard is faulty.

ChildishWasTaken

Prominent
Apr 1, 2019
What is the MODEL of your SSD card? What exactly do you mean by "card"? Is it an M.2 drive? If so, is it a SATA or PCI M.2 drive? Knowing the exact model of that drive would help to answer those questions.

Your BIOS version is SEVERELY out of date. I would update to version 3805 (Ignore the newer version which is Beta and only related to the Windows ME tool as far as I can tell.) and you do not need to update to each version in between. You ONLY need to update to that version.

Be sure you take the time to find and watch, or read, some instructional guides on updating the BIOS on YOUR motherboard model or one very similar to it that is the same brand and chipset, before trying to update. If you don't do it correctly you could brick your system. It is perfectly safe to update if you take the time to learn how to do it correctly and then do it as directed. Do not ever stop the system while it is updating the BIOS. It can be updated from within the BIOS so you do not need to be able to boot into windows to do it but you do not want to try to update the BIOS if the system shuts off or has errors while IN the BIOS, and if it does, then you likely have a hardware failure of some kind or that motherboard is faulty.

Hello,

I've managed to update my BIOS to version 3805. It didn't help.

I have a SATA6G_1 Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1.

So the only thing I can think of right now, is put Windows 10 on a new SSD card and replace it with the new one. Is that a good idea?

Is it a 2.5" SSD, like this:

Samsung840Evo_(11).jpg

or an mSATA SSD, like this:

samsung-840-evo-250gb-msata-custom-pc-review-10.jpg

Test the drive as follows.

Download Seatools for DOS or Western digital lifeguard tools for DOS. Create bootable media on USB. Boot to the USB media. Run the Short test (Short DST or quick test) and the Long test (Long generic).

If it fails any test, replace the drive. Or, you can just try a different drive, install Windows on it and see if you still have the same issues. Be sure when installing Windows that there are NO other drives attached to the motherboard EXCEPT for the USB or optical disk drive you are installing windows FROM.

Solution

ChildishWasTaken

Prominent
Apr 1, 2019
Hello,

Sorry for the late response.

I've downloaded SeaTools For Windows and scanned my SSD Disk, Short generic test. It failed the test! So I'm going to replace the SSD, put windows back on it and see if it works.

I do have experience with installing windows etc.. I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks for all the help and time!

ChildishWasTaken

ChildishWasTaken

Prominent
Apr 1, 2019
Sounds good. Hopefully that will be the only issue.

Hello Darkbreeze,

I have no idea if you'll read this, but my pc still has the same issues. I actually got a new hard drive for my birthday which didn't solve the problem. (Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB)

I'm now running windows10 on that new hard drive, and the older ones aren't plugged in. Hardware hasn't changed, besided the hard drive:

ASUS H110-PLUS
CoolerMaster GM Series G550M
Crucial - DDR4 - 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB
Cooler Master Hyper TX3i
Intel Core i5-6600K / 3.5 GHz
MSI N750Ti TF 2GD5/OC

I was hoping you might have a last resort or something, otherwise I'm going to start saving money for a new pc.

Thanks in advance.

Childish

Did you do a clean install of Windows 10, or did you upgrade your existing Windows installation? You realize it's been a year since your last post? No offense, but if it took a year to replace the drive I can't imagine how long it will take to build a new system. 😕

ChildishWasTaken

Prominent
Apr 1, 2019
Did you do a clean install of Windows 10, or did you upgrade your existing Windows installation? You realize it's been a year since your last post? No offense, but if it took a year to replace the drive I can't imagine how long it will take to build a new system. 😕

I am sorry for the late reaction, fact is I've had this PC problem for a long time, so I've been a bit lazy with this problem. That's why it's been a year. Installing hardware isn't the problem or money for that matter.

The windows 10 version was an old installation.

I'm open for solutions if you have the time for me. I would greatly appreciate it.

I would REALLY recommend starting with a clean install of Windows. Given the long time and lack of success you've had even after replacing hardware, I'd say it's as good a place and better than most, to start. Obviously, ANY problem can ALWAYS be hardware related, but it generally costs nothing or very little to do a clean install of Windows so when some other things have failed to produce results it's always a good place to start. Plus, if you've done an upgrade from an older version of Windows, and have NOT done a clean install SINCE then, or have been through several of the spring and fall major Windows updates since the last time a clean install was done, then it's REALLY a good idea to do one.

But don't go into it half cocked. Read the FULL guide, make sure you understand what you are going to do and then also read these threads below that are very relevant for the majority of users especially if you have not yet attached your Windows installation to a Microsoft account that is registered to you, and with a valid email address for verification.

ChildishWasTaken

Prominent
Apr 1, 2019
I would REALLY recommend starting with a clean install of Windows. Given the long time and lack of success you've had even after replacing hardware, I'd say it's as good a place and better than most, to start. Obviously, ANY problem can ALWAYS be hardware related, but it generally costs nothing or very little to do a clean install of Windows so when some other things have failed to produce results it's always a good place to start. Plus, if you've done an upgrade from an older version of Windows, and have NOT done a clean install SINCE then, or have been through several of the spring and fall major Windows updates since the last time a clean install was done, then it's REALLY a good idea to do one.

But don't go into it half cocked. Read the FULL guide, make sure you understand what you are going to do and then also read these threads below that are very relevant for the majority of users especially if you have not yet attached your Windows installation to a Microsoft account that is registered to you, and with a valid email address for verification.

I don't mean to be disingenuous but I've made clean installations of Windows 10 several times, the same problem persist. That's why I think the hardware is the problem.

I will try the clean installation. But I hope you maybe have a different solution.

Greetings Childish

If the Windows installation isn't the problem, then it starts looking a lot more like a motherboard issue. Given the age of the hardware, replacing it might not make a lot of sense. Putting that money towards something newer might be a lot more sensible.