[SOLVED] Bad system config info - bluescreen & not letting me recover ?

Nov 10, 2020
PC booting into Bluescreen and won't let me enter safe mode.

It all started like 3 weeks ago when I noticed the time on my computer wasn't correct after startup, that issue alone didn't mind me that much so I didn't give it much thought, like a week in with the issue I started having a screen appear while starting up that listed my specs like Mainboard; a copletely false date, like years off; etc. it also listed my drives and said that "All settings were reset to default values." "Press F1 to run Setup - Press F2 to continue". My computer was still booting at that time.

After a couple of days tho my PC was having trouble starting up, my fans and leds were turning on but I did not get any image at all on my 2 displays. I tried restarting several times, sometimes it worked after a couple of restarts. I don't know if it were just some coincidences but I figured that turning my pc off and unplugging my cables and replugging them made my PC often start up normally. But just after I kind of got used to it, the issues got worse.

I didn't notice any performance issues while gaming but when I played something highly demanding for my pc like Apex legends my PC started with an issue that made my whole system freeze, weirdly enough always when that happend I could hear a Windows USB unplug sound and a Windows notification sound. I started researching and figured it is most likely a driver issue and after realizing that I already had the freshest drivers, I went ahead and tried reinstalling some of them, like my graphics drivers. So I uninstalled the GPU drivers and tried installing them again but without any success, I got the error that the driver isn't compatible with my windows system.

At this point I kind of had enough of all the issues and just did a system recovery to a point between the first and second week of errors, this made my PC not boot up into anything except system recovery, I tested out most of the recovery options even completely resetting (gave me an error) or starting up in safe mode (bluescreen), no success, everything I tried on the recovery screen brought me to a blue screen. Now when I try to boot into windows I just get thrown into the recovery screen where it says "Automatic repair could not fix the issue".

I already tried unplugging the graphics card and booting up that way and I replaced the CMOS Battery. I am currently booting from an ubuntu USB in order to try and save the data I still have on my hard drives. My suspicion is that my system files are corrupt as I can also remember having tried out sfc /scannow in the the automatic recovery console. I am having trouble on how to fix this problem and cannot afford resetting my drives without first backing the files in them up (would have to buy another hdd for that so It would be awesome if it could be avoided).

Here are all the Bluescreens I unlocked throughout this journey of errors:

1. DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION
  2. CRITICAL PROCESS DIED
  3. BAD SYSTEM CONFIG INFO (current)
Any clue where this problem(s) could come from and how to fix them?

Much love and thank you very much for reading / helping.

Solution
  1. Insert Windows 10 Installation DVD or flash drive (here is a guide for creating one).
  2. Boot from the DVD or flash drive. Doing this is different on many computers. Google is your friend!
  3. When the welcome screen appears, click “next”.
  4. Select “Repair your computer”
  5. Select Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>Command Prompt.
  6. Enter the following command: CD C:WindowsSystem32config
  7. Enter the following command: ren C:WindowsSystem32configDEFAULT DEFAULT.old
  8. Enter the following command: ren C:WindowsSystem32configSAM SAM.old
  9. Enter the following command: ren CWindowsSystem32configSECURITY SECURITY.old
  10. Enter the following command: ren C:WindowsSystem32configSOFTWARE...

RamBoy_69

Prominent
Apr 17, 2020
  1. Insert Windows 10 Installation DVD or flash drive (here is a guide for creating one).
  2. Boot from the DVD or flash drive. Doing this is different on many computers. Google is your friend!
  3. When the welcome screen appears, click “next”.
  4. Select “Repair your computer”
  5. Select Troubleshoot>Advanced Options>Command Prompt.
  6. Enter the following command: CD C:WindowsSystem32config
  7. Enter the following command: ren C:WindowsSystem32configDEFAULT DEFAULT.old
  8. Enter the following command: ren C:WindowsSystem32configSAM SAM.old
  9. Enter the following command: ren CWindowsSystem32configSECURITY SECURITY.old
  10. Enter the following command: ren C:WindowsSystem32configSOFTWARE SOFTWARE.old
  11. Enter the following command: ren C:WindowsSystem32configSYSTEM SYSTEM.old
  12. These command lines have renamed folders that can no longer be used. Now it’s time to insert the new ones.
  13. Enter the following command: copy C:WindowsSystem32configRegBackDEFAULT C:WindowsSystem32config
  14. Enter the following command: copy C:WindowsSystem32configRegBackSAM C:WindowsSystem32config
  15. Enter the following command: copy C:WindowsSystem32configRegBackSECURITY C:WindowsSystem32config
  16. Enter the following command: copy C:WindowsSystem32configRegBackSYSTEM C:WindowsSystem32config
  17. Enter the following command: copy C:WindowsSystem32configRegBackSOFTWARE C:WindowsSystem32config
  18. Close the Command Prompt and restart the computer. If this was the issue, you should be set.
If this doesn't help, please respond to this message.

Mod note: Plagiarize from https://answers.microsoft.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution