Bad system config info Heeeelp!

Status
Not open for further replies.

raquelshenrique

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Hello, guys! Im from Brazil and my English is not good at all but I'll try to make myself clear...
Well, a few weeks ago my PC was showing a blue screen and restarting after that. Since the heat over here is so hot, I was suspicious of thermal dilatation and I opened my cpu and pressed the pieces into their slots which worked out very well.
But... Last saturday I saw that my computer - which is windows7 64 bits - was only using 3Gb of memory and since I have 4, I was concerned about it and I went to google searching for solution. I found a forum where a guy was explaining a few things about it and besides of that he said that windows's start process became so much faster when he selected (on msconfig) all his cores for that. Well, I though that an interesting thing to do, but I have 4cores and I've choosed only 2 of them. I continued working on my computer for the rest of the day and only later on I reboot it and that was the moment when my troubles started! The pc is on blue screen "looping" and windows doesnt starts since then and the blue screen is showing a lot of things including this "bad system config info" thing! Im totaly lay (or noob, as you prefer) and I dont know what to do. I dont know if this is related with the processor's cores thing or if this is just a coincidence!
I am wondering if there is a way to undo the msconfig thing by the bios or by that prompt thing! :S
Im so lost :(
Im alread grateful for your attention! And sorry again about my English skills!

Solution
Ms config, is part of windows, it holds how many processors you want windows to use to boot with, in some cases it does speed things up. the other side of it allows you to disable all of the programs that want to start up straight after windows for quick launch.
If that list is long then it will take a bit more time for windows to load.
You cannot change it in the bios.
Have you tried pressing the F8 key just after the post to boot into windows safe mode?
or you can try last good known configuration.
Speaking about your memory, you may need to go into the bios an enable memory remapping mode, the board may be stopping windows from seeing the other 1gb stick of memory. Short of that the problem could be a memory stick has failed so you...

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Ms config, is part of windows, it holds how many processors you want windows to use to boot with, in some cases it does speed things up. the other side of it allows you to disable all of the programs that want to start up straight after windows for quick launch.
If that list is long then it will take a bit more time for windows to load.
You cannot change it in the bios.
Have you tried pressing the F8 key just after the post to boot into windows safe mode?
or you can try last good known configuration.
Speaking about your memory, you may need to go into the bios an enable memory remapping mode, the board may be stopping windows from seeing the other 1gb stick of memory. Short of that the problem could be a memory stick has failed so you need to pull them all out and test the memory stick one at a time in the slots to see if it is the case.

Solution

raquelshenrique

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012

Hi Weaselman! :hello:
My problem is already solved - just thank God for that, and I mean it! I was praying for this miracle: how a noob like me could fix something like that without any human help! - After 7 hours of researching in a lot of forums about a way to change the same configurations of the msconfig however, doing it without Wind starts! I found the perfect explanation! Look my odyssey:

>> First I discovered what is the "command prompt" thing that I read in so many places about it... Well, I also read about the codes (or scripts - I dont know the correct term for that). So, one of them got my attention: the bcdedit code - this one does exactly what I needed to fix my issue!

>> After more research, I had a few tips and a tiny idea about those "scripts" and that led me to type this on command prompt (as a "subscript" of the bcdedit): "bcdedit /set numproc 1" - but it didnt work at all! I thought it was in vain... I thought this issue wasnt related after all with the configuration's changes that I have made before on msconfig! I was very upset and frustrated! But I remember to check on the prompt screen (after save and rebooting) to see if the prompt really have saved my alterations! And for my suprise and my relief, it didnt save anything!

>> So... I went to research - AGAIN - hahah! But God is so good and He have such a infinite mercy that I went to a page that perfectly explained everything I needed to know, STEP BY STEP of what to do in this particulary situation (the guy had the same problem! and - as I saw on the comment's space - a lot of people have this issue as well!). Check it out:
(by the way, his page here: http://nilcemar.blogspot.com.br/2012/04/corrigir-badsystemconfiginfo-no-windows.html)

~~~~ Bad_System_Config_Info ~~~~

1) Start the "inicialization repair" (or installation repair - I dont know the name in English, I just try to translate but I cant say if this one is the right term to use).
2) It will try to fix the problem without success. Dont worry, go to the "system recovery options"
3) Logon as the adminitrator
4) Go to the "command prompt" and type "bcdedit /deletevalue {default} numproc" (without quots) and press "enter"
5) Now type "bcdedit /deletevalue {default} truncatememory" (without quots) and press enter again
6) Close the prompt screen and reboot! THAT'S IT! It is all that takes to Wind goes normal again! After these steps I didnt have anymore problem!!! PRAISE THE LORD! I couldnt get this far without Him!!!

>> May this help other people in trouble like I was! =D << :D

>> Answering your questions:
- "Did you try the "last goog configuration?" / "Have you tried pressing the F8 key just after the post to boot into windows safe mode?" - Yes! I tryed everything that I could and everything that I knew at the time! But I only had success after change the appropriated script on (or "at" - I dont know) command prompt!

>> ABout the memory thing... this is a new territory for me and after I messed up with the "numproc" config, I rather to be quiet with these tecnical things because I'm just a facebook-email-youtube-microsoft office-music download-user! hahaha This is not for me! :??: But I appreciate you trying to help me!

Thanks a lot for your attention! Have a nice weekend! May God bless you! ;)
And sorry about my English skills! :??:

Status
Not open for further replies.