Question Bad system Config info

Oct 20, 2019
I installed two new sticks of RAM (exact same) and now my pc will not boot up properly. I get a preparing automatic repair screen followed by a bsod saying Bad system Config info. I removed my new sticks and it still happens. I also tried booting up with every possible combination of sticks and still have the same result.
Each time I try to recover or wipe it says an error occurred. I even disassembled and reassembled the whole pc with same results. Any ideas?
AMD Ryzen 2700x
Gigabyte Auros Gaming 5 WiFi
Gigabyte 1070ti
Rosewill psu 750w
Corsair vengeance DDR4 266MHz RAM 8gb (4)
Windows 10 64 1803

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
More information needed.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

What motherboard (make, model, version) is installed in your computer?

Do you have the motherboard's User Guide/Manual?

What memory modules have you installed and were those memory modules on the motherboard's manufacturer's supported memory list?

Lastly, try to provide more specifics with respect to "an error occurred".

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Most times that's an error occurring because boot is pulling info from cmos first, trying to boot and popping an error because the ram is not what cmos says it is.

I'd suggest you unplug the pc, push/hold power button for 20 seconds, pull out the cmos battery and wait 10+ minutes. Then reinstall. Use only 1 stick of ram in slot A2 (that's 2nd from cpu) That should force the bios to actually hard boot and do a full hardware search and authenticate. It should go past POST, and start to load windows. If it does, hold power button for @ 5 seconds, pc should shut off, don't allow windows to boot. Install the second stick into A2, reboot.

Because of your shutdown, not windows shutdown, bios is again forced to search hardware. Recognizing your ram. Shut off pc again, put 1st stick into B2 and reboot. Shouldn't be any errors, clear to boot fully into windows.

Whenever you change any hardware that's bios related like ram, it first needs to be recognised by bios the hard way, cmos is a shortcut used by windows to bypass the hardware search, for fast-boot purposes. By changing the ram and not resetting cmos, you got the pc confused as to what's inside, and you'll get an error every time.