[SOLVED] bad temps on i7

pniok2

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
I have an i7-3770 and i use a alpine 12 CO as the cooler. i am sure it is tightly in i checked many times and i am using pre-applied thermal paste but i get mac temps of 88 degress while testing with prime 95 and around 83 when in high (100 or very close) load games, is this normal? or not?. thank you for any answers.

Solution
No, those temps are NOT normal, they are excessively high, and the reason they are excessively high is because you are using a CPU cooler than is worse than the stock coolers that came with most of the Ivy bridge (3rd Gen) CPUs. What you NEED to do, is get a better cooler. If you just bought this cooler then I would recommend that you return it. If you can't return it, then I recommend you sell it and buy a better model. What you should buy depends on how much you can budget for a CPU cooler, but you need to come up with a plan because that cooler is way too weak for that CPU model.

80°C is the MAXIMUM temperature you want ever want to see under ANY conditions.
No, those temps are NOT normal, they are excessively high, and the reason they are excessively high is because you are using a CPU cooler than is worse than the stock coolers that came with most of the Ivy bridge (3rd Gen) CPUs. What you NEED to do, is get a better cooler. If you just bought this cooler then I would recommend that you return it. If you can't return it, then I recommend you sell it and buy a better model. What you should buy depends on how much you can budget for a CPU cooler, but you need to come up with a plan because that cooler is way too weak for that CPU model.

Solution

pniok2

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019

I was thinking that but this cooler apparently can cool up to 100 tdp and my cpu tdp is 77. guess i will get a new cooler

Your CPU is 77 TDP at the base clock speed. Intel does not list "boosted" TDP. Under boost conditions your CPU, and all Intel CPUs, are actually at MUCH, MUCH higher thermal design power levels than what is listed on their product specifications.

So, you should rid yourself of the idea that your CPU is "77 TDP". It's actually more like 114w TDP under full boost conditions.

The cooler you listed is a 92mm model, which isn't much better than a stock cooler either. You want, at minimum, a 120mm heatsink. Better, MUCH better, would be some flavor of 140mm heatsink model depending on what your case will support. What is your case model? What country are you in?

pniok2

Prominent
Jul 20, 2019
Your CPU is 77 TDP at the base clock speed. Intel does not list "boosted" TDP. Under boost conditions your CPU, and all Intel CPUs, are actually at MUCH, MUCH higher thermal design power levels than what is listed on their product specifications.

So, you should rid yourself of the idea that your CPU is "77 TDP". It's actually more like 114w TDP under full boost conditions.

The cooler you listed is a 92mm model, which isn't much better than a stock cooler either. You want, at minimum, a 120mm heatsink. Better, MUCH better, would be some flavor of 140mm heatsink model depending on what your case will support. What is your case model? What country are you in?
thank you for your reply. i have went with this cooler for now since i can't really get a better one right now https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...gine~259955~Staircase+51+Ltd+(Genie+Shopping). but i will consider a better one in the future. my case is. corsair spec delta rgb.