Question Bad temps with i7 12700k?

Streetkilln

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2015
can someone help me, i builty pc like 3 months ago, i was getting pretty high temps on my i7-12700k, while just idling around between 47-60c and gaming i hit 85c, im using the ICUE H100i ELITE LCD, when i ran cinebench my max temps was 83-90c, and had a score of 20870 so i decided to take off the cooler clean the thermal paste off because the i was assuming the thermal paste that was preapplied was maybe rubbish, i applied new thermal paste from kryonauts and ran the test again and got a worse score 800 lower and i have no idea why but i did get better temps, not one of my cores went above 85c.. which is good but im not sure if its cause i also did clean out my case fan filters which idk if that would make a big difference in temps maybe idk, any ideas why i got a lower score but better temps? should i wait longer to actually see a real temp change from new thermal paste?

Here is a spread sheet of the temps from core temp program
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1MTZCw67DyZcMFjwMRQChYkvVzqwZRwpTNHRNe5nGktE/htmlview

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Need more PC specs, like:
-gpu.
-chassis, so we have an idea what airflow is like, just in case.
-motherboard. Some of them run overclocks in their bios defaults, but the board's auto voltage curves suck.
-location of radiator.

Also, don't run apps like Cinebench/etc on auto voltage settings. You're guaranteed to have a lousy experience with the aggressive motherboard auto voltage curves.

I take it the pump is on the extreme preset in iCUE? That would be more stable for cpu thermals than having both the pump and fans running on a PWM curve.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Which Divider? I'm looking through their online store, and some are airflow friendly, others aren't... if the latter, then the top AIO might be starving for air.

Msi motherboard... I believe their auto OC program is called OC Genie? Make sure that's disabled.
Also, their Dragon Center software runs a 'performance optimized' OC without even telling the user - best to uninstall it.

Streetkilln

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2015
Which Divider? I'm looking through their online store, and some are airflow friendly, others aren't... if the latter, then the top AIO might be starving for air.

Msi motherboard... I believe their auto OC program is called OC Genie? Make sure that's disabled.
Also, their Dragon Center software runs a 'performance optimized' OC without even telling the user - best to uninstall it.
Its the glass one and i dont see a program called oc genie and i use the new dragon center called msi center which allows u to install the addons u want, gaming mode, mystic light, smart priority and i dont have the gaming mode installed

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm suspect the biggest factor here is airflow.
Further down the store link, there's 2 images for this model's airflow. It looks like Thermaltake's concept here is front + top intake, and side + rear exhaust.
There are chassis out there where the traditional cooling setup doesn't work as well - this might be one of them.

Airflow test:
-a desk fan/one that you can use to blow air inside the PC.
-remove the side panel.
-aim fan inside the PC on high speed.
-run cinebench again.
If you observe over a 5C decrease from the previous run, then airflow is weak.

Streetkilln

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2015
I'm suspect the biggest factor here is airflow.
Further down the store link, there's 2 images for this model's airflow. It looks like Thermaltake's concept here is front + top intake, and side + rear exhaust.
There are chassis out there where the traditional cooling setup doesn't work as well - this might be one of them.

Airflow test:
-a desk fan/one that you can use to blow air inside the PC.
-remove the side panel.
-aim fan inside the PC on high speed.
-run cinebench again.
If you observe over a 5C decrease from the previous run, then airflow is weak.
it might be the case but i seen reviews of same case that it was good i didnt see reports of bad airflow.. hmm, i dont have a desk fan but i can take off the side panels and see the difference

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Like this review?
I see that they did top intake with the AIO, rear exhaust fan, front intake, and that it did pretty well with the hardware they used. The tester left the side fan options closed though.
[I imagine if the side was used, it'd be exhaust, going along with the divided theme.]

The desk fan is used to simulate high airflow. You may still see a significant drop in temperatures without it.

Streetkilln

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2015
Like this review?
I see that they did top intake with the AIO, rear exhaust fan, front intake, and that it did pretty well with the hardware they used. The tester left the side fan options closed though.
[I imagine if the side was used, it'd be exhaust, going along with the divided theme.]

The desk fan is used to simulate high airflow. You may still see a significant drop in temperatures without it.
Yes wich makes no sense to me he used an air cooler and getting better temps idle , then yet im not sure if he has background programs running like chrome and such, i might try and boot into bios and see what my temps are there.

can someone help me, i builty pc like 3 months ago, i was getting pretty high temps on my i7-12700k, while just idling around between 47-60c and gaming i hit 85c, im using the ICUE H100i ELITE LCD, when i ran cinebench my max temps was 83-90c ...

What video card do you have and is it running hot as well? Enter the motherboard BIOS and set a manual fan curve for the CPU cooler; to make certain that both fans on the radiator are running at the same speed you might want to use a power cable splitter, if you don' t have one, and run both fans on the same fan header.

If that does not work it is possible you have the CPU radiator coolant lines improperly mounted.

Let us know what you find out.

Streetkilln

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2015
What video card do you have and is it running hot as well? Enter the motherboard BIOS and set a manual fan curve for the CPU cooler; to make certain that both fans on the radiator are running at the same speed you might want to use a power cable splitter, if you don' t have one, and run both fans on the same fan header.

If that does not work it is possible you have the CPU radiator coolant lines improperly mounted.

Let us know what you find out.
I have my fans controlled in corsairs icue software as they are all corsair fans, my rad mount is a top set up with pump lines on the right (near front of case, not back) my gpu is a evga rtx 2070 super xc ultra.

Picture of setup

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eniT3SBoqXdkM7qb7