[SOLVED] Bad thermals and high voltages on Ryzen 7 3700X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2020
Hello
I have experienced high idle temps on my 3700X for a while now, and i can't figure out why. I have a sligt suspicion that it has something to do with the CPU boost, but I'm not sure. (I don't know a lot about CPUs and overclocking, so I'm sorry if it seems obvious).
Here is what I see when I open Ryzen Master, if that can help.
WdUceJ7.png

My ambient temperature is 22° C

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Hello
I have experienced high idle temps on my 3700X for a while now, and i can't figure out why. I have a sligt suspicion that it has something to do with the CPU boost, but I'm not sure. (I don't know a lot about CPUs and overclocking, so I'm sorry if it seems obvious).
WdUceJ7.png

Thanks in advance.
OEM cooler ? That's about right temp for it, nothing to do with boost either, Set minimum processor state to 5% in your power plan and see how much that helps.
Many BIOS versions also set idle voltage too high, it's possible to correct that by setting CPU voltage with negative offset.

killerhog212

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
Your temps don't seem off. I went with a manual overclock to get rid of the fluctuations in temp which kept cycling my fans. Because I have an ASUS mobo, Corsair cooler and Gigabyte graphics card, it all takes a delicate balance for them to work together and the boost and PBO were causing needless noise and cycling.

With that said, I had a very weird result. I was able to get 4450 MHz at 1.287 V which is unheard of.

You could start at 4300 MHz and 1.3 V in Ryzen Master and see what frequency you are able to get to. When you reach your max dial down the frequency by 50 MHz and then start going down on voltage. Run Cinebench R20 and CPUZ to check stability for each iteration, don't trust the Ryzen Master "test and apply".

Hello
WdUceJ7.png

Thanks in advance.
OEM cooler ? That's about right temp for it, nothing to do with boost either, Set minimum processor state to 5% in your power plan and see how much that helps.
Many BIOS versions also set idle voltage too high, it's possible to correct that by setting CPU voltage with negative offset.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.