[SOLVED] bad thermals on ryzen 7 2700x

Drew2345

Reputable
Jul 20, 2019
So i've just built my rig a week ago installed OS and ran openhardwaremonitor and ryzenmaster. I wasn't happy with the stock cooler temperatures(AMD wraith prism) 54-60degrees in ryzenmaster on idle, 35-58degrees in open hardware monitor(generally it would be around 40 but sometimes it used to go up to 50-58 and sometimes it would go as low as 35degrees for like 10minutes all temps in idle) and in bios i would get 55-61degrees. In-game i only tried dying light in which the cooler stabilized at 64degrees which i thought wasnt bad but i decided to change the cooler because of the high idle temps. I didn't have the budget for a high end AIO, so I decided to get a big air cooler instead of a cheap AIO. So I went to the store and bought myself a bequiet dark rock 4 (non-pro version) installed it turned the fan to full speed from bios and temps are the same if not worse: 51-55degrees in ryzenmaster in idle, 40-46degrees on HWmonitor on idle. I haven't tried any in-game temps yet but this can't be right. Am I missing something ? Did i do anything wrong or is the bequiet DR4 just bad?Also my temperature is not stable at all in idle quite the opposite. same with peak speed and voltage they keep going up and down. In ryzen master my peak speed keep going from 4.325Ghz to 4.275Ghz 3.3 and finally 2.2ghz at which point it starts to go up. Also i noticed my temps spike really high when EDC is at 100% of 140 A, Limit 140 A at which point the text also become red. Core speed is also all over the place, constantly changing. I dont know what any of these mean so thats why I am listing all of them here hoping for some help/clarification. I really know close to nothing about the software and how I should set up my CPU

CPU Ryzen7 2700x;
GPU RX580;
RAM 2x 8gb corsair vengeance pro 3000mhz dual channel;
MB Asrock b450 pro4,
x6 120mm case fans.

I also have a very well ventilated case with a mesh front panel.

Solution
change your power settting to "ryzen balance" power plan. then in advance adjust "power managemnt state to 5%,

also go into bios, and into hardware ,and run fan test. this will tell you the optimal setting for fans. and choose "performance" or max" this will help keep CPU and case cooler... you would have less issues with an AIO. you can get a cheap "coolermaster L240" this wil drop temps to around "30'c idle" and "50-55'c under load"..

also for some reason AMD made the temp readouts for the ryzen 7 2700x read 10'c higher that the true temp. so that the fans " kick in sooner.to stop "throttling" i assume they have also done it to all other cpu's since.. hence why "hardware monitor reads lower...
So i've just built my rig a week ago installed OS and ran openhardwaremonitor and ryzenmaster. I wasn't happy with the stock cooler temperatures(AMD wraith prism) 54-60degrees in ryzenmaster on idle, 35-58degrees in open hardware monitor(generally it would be around 40 but sometimes it used to go up to 50-58 and sometimes it would go as low as 35degrees for like 10minutes all temps in idle) and in bios i would get 55-61degrees. In-game i only tried dying light in which the cooler stabilized at 64degrees which i thought wasnt bad but i decided to change the cooler because of the high idle temps. I didn't have the budget for a high end AIO, so I decided to get a big air cooler instead of a cheap AIO. So I went to the store and bought myself a bequiet dark rock 4 (non-pro version) installed it turned the fan to full speed from bios and temps are the same if not worse: 51-55degrees in ryzenmaster in idle, 40-46degrees on HWmonitor on idle. I haven't tried any in-game temps yet but this can't be right. Am I missing something ? Did i do anything wrong or is the bequiet DR4 just bad?Also my temperature is not stable at all in idle quite the opposite. same with peak speed and voltage they keep going up and down. In ryzen master my peak speed keep going from 4.325Ghz to 4.275Ghz 3.3 and finally 2.2ghz at which point it starts to go up. Also i noticed my temps spike really high when EDC is at 100% of 140 A, Limit 140 A at which point the text also become red. Core speed is also all over the place, constantly changing. I dont know what any of these mean so thats why I am listing all of them here hoping for some help/clarification. I really know close to nothing about the software and how I should set up my CPU

CPU Ryzen7 2700x;
GPU RX580;
RAM 2x 8gb corsair vengeance pro 3000mhz dual channel;
MB Asrock b450 pro4,
x6 120mm case fans.

I also have a very well ventilated case with a mesh front panel.
Core frequency jumping up and down is to response of OS and software demands, if that's happening it's not at true idle.
Idle temps are dependent on case/environment temperatures too. Nothing to worry about, it's highest temps that are important.
For idle, you can adjust Power saving plan Minimum processor state to 5% so that frequebcy stays low at idle time and that should drop temperature considerably.

Reactions: Drew2345

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
change your power settting to "ryzen balance" power plan. then in advance adjust "power managemnt state to 5%,

also go into bios, and into hardware ,and run fan test. this will tell you the optimal setting for fans. and choose "performance" or max" this will help keep CPU and case cooler... you would have less issues with an AIO. you can get a cheap "coolermaster L240" this wil drop temps to around "30'c idle" and "50-55'c under load"..

also for some reason AMD made the temp readouts for the ryzen 7 2700x read 10'c higher that the true temp. so that the fans " kick in sooner.to stop "throttling" i assume they have also done it to all other cpu's since.. hence why "hardware monitor reads lower temps"

Reactions: CountMike
Solution