[SOLVED] Bad time migrating os to raid array

Feb 27, 2020
Hi, so im trying to migrate my os from a 120gb single ssd to a 4 ssd raid 5(1 parity disk. ) Ive tried using macrium reflect at first but due to sector size and being too impatient to look for a workaround it wasn't an option, so Im currently using easeus. I tried for hours to make the copy stable enough to finish as my boot drive crashed the program constantly due to being full, or at least I think. But anyway long story short I got it to copy but it won't boot from the copy now, I've even removed the old drive. I get as far as the windows startup chime but then it just black screens with a cursor. As far as i know im on the most recent stable update of windows on both drives, Intel rst as well as my graphics drivers are up to date. I've been working on this far too long to be honest. But my system specs:
I7 4770k
Asus Maximus hero z77
Gtx 970
4 256gb ssds
1 120gb ssd
2 wd 3tb hdd for storage and games
Yes i know im stupid for buying 4 ssds but i was a stupid kid when i bought them, anyways any feedback would be super helpful, thanks in advance.

EDIT: I should say I'm well past the patience level to reinstall windows, I have about 200 games and probably way more programs then I would like to admit so reinstall is not a option I'd want to take

EDIT 2: I figured out how to switch boot drives in a post down below but it probably is easier just to reinstall windows good luck

Last edited:
Solution
Yes i know im stupid for buying 4 ssds but

4? :ange:
See my 7 below, no RAID in sight.

OS on a 4 drive RAID 5? I can probably come up with a worse config, but I'd have to think really hard on that.

Cloning? It is great when it works.
When it fails, give it up and start from scratch. No matter how painful that may be.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
My feedback is this setup is a giant nightmare.

If your games are on Steam and Origin and stuff you can move your game director to whatever drive.

Either way how about just keeping the 120 as a boot drive and creating a RAID of the 4 256GB drives and putting your games there? You can move them like I said, and it will solve your imaging issue.

BTW RAID on consumer hardware is a bad idea, but there is no other way to combine these drives if you want them to be one pooled storage space.

Feb 27, 2020
My feedback is this setup is a giant nightmare.

If your games are on Steam and Origin and stuff you can move your game director to whatever drive.

Either way how about just keeping the 120 as a boot drive and creating a RAID of the 4 256GB drives and putting your games there? You can move them like I said, and it will solve your imaging issue.

BTW RAID on consumer hardware is a bad idea, but there is no other way to combine these drives if you want them to be one pooled storage space.
See the problem is I'm almost certain everything is already on my other drives its just my C drive has about 1gb left on it and looking through windirstat there's not many options on things I can delete, I mean I can try looking again but there's not much I can do

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
See the problem is I'm almost certain everything is already on my other drives its just my C drive has about 1gb left on it and looking through windirstat there's not many options on things I can delete, I mean I can try looking again but there's not much I can do

And C is the 120?

I mean you may need to suck it up and delete a few things and reinstall them on another drive.

Windows does NOT take up 120gb, so there has to be some stuff there you can remove.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes i know im stupid for buying 4 ssds but

4? :ange:
See my 7 below, no RAID in sight.

OS on a 4 drive RAID 5? I can probably come up with a worse config, but I'd have to think really hard on that.

Cloning? It is great when it works.
When it fails, give it up and start from scratch. No matter how painful that may be.

Solution
Feb 27, 2020
So... I managed to get it to work, it was a pain but it worked, the reason i was using third party programs in the first place was because it wouldn't let me clone the RAID drive I wanted to put it on in the first place (probably because it was RAID 0). So stupid me did everything in the book to put it on that drive. Turns out I should've just put it on my storage drive or whatever and use windows to recover anyways. It was a long process of switching things in the BIOS (also found out the difference between BIOS and UEFI turns out I probably will have to reinstall windows if I want faster loads, again stupid me) using a recovery usb to attempt to restore from one of the images, then using Diskpart to clean the drive for the probably 8th time (my drives are probably gonna die soon) then recovering it from the image on my storage drive. everything FINALLY works ok and I have all the storage my C drive will hopefully ever need. I'm gonna give the best answer to USAFRet because reinstalling Windows is probably a lot easier although more tedious and a nightmare like Rough Leader said lol, but I'm gonna edit my original post redirecting anyone willing to punch holes in their wall and rip out their hair to give this post a shot, I am now bald and my house has no walls YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!