[SOLVED] Bad USB Controller?

TM1172

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
Hey all,

I recently was using an NZXT X72 using the CAM software to cool my R9 5900x on an Aorus X570 Elite WiFi. I had heard all about the trash fire that is CAM so when my system started throwing up messages saying “communication to the device has failed,” I figured it was just a CAM thing. I would go into Devices and Printers, remove the now “unknown USB devices” and reboot the system, and things would usually come right back up.

Today I swapped that cooler out with an EVGA CLC 280 and expected that with a different device, new USB cable, and different software, I would not get the random USB disconnects. However, I’m still getting them. Rebooting fixes the issue generally, but I’d like to know why it’s happening. It happens often when my pc goes to sleep - when it wakes up again, it loses the USB devices. Changing all my USB properties under power management to not allow windows to power USB devices down didn’t help.
Is this a windows error I’m encountering, or is my mobo somehow failing in the USB department? Could it have an issue in one of the motherboard’s USB headers causing this issue?

TM1172

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
The first thing I would do is try it without the PCIe riser cable and the second thing would be to try a beefier/higher quality power supply
Update to latest bios? Amd has had usb disconnection issues on 500 series boards that are supposedly fixed in newest bios revisions
According to this article https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcgamer.com/amp/asus-motherboard-amd-usb-bios-fix/
Asus motherboards didnt get the fix til april
Thanks, it looks like Gigabyte is in the same boat maybe. I’ll keep updating bios as they come out. Hopefully it will get fixed eventually.

TM1172

Reputable
Nov 19, 2019
Unfortunately I think I did already update to the f33h bios, and it hasn’t helped. I updated the bios when my 3080 showed up so that I could enable resizable bar, and that was the version I think I flashed. Maybe time to talk to gigabyte about it directly.

edit: I stand corrected. I had f33g installed, which was from March. Downloading and flashing f33h now, and crossing my fingers

Last edited: