Megadeth!m!

Prominent
Mar 1, 2019
Hi i'm trying to figure out whether i have a bricked card or just a bad silicon lottery card. Basically i can't get the core clock past +40 without getting weird things happen in gta 5 like blurry textures and random glitches/freezing, But the memory is totally stable at +1000???? I know the memory is stable because i had the clock at stock when i tested the memory and nothing crashed or anything. Is it maybe a driver issue or something? It's really frustrating.. The card is a rtx 2060 zotac twin. Any help is appreciated :)

Megadeth!m!

Prominent
Mar 1, 2019
stick with 1 thread
did i get a broken video card or just a terribly bad overclocker? like i've never had or even heard of a video card only being able to overclock +30 on the core, Anything higher then that i get weird textures and glitching/freezing.. The memory i got up to +1000 though. its a zotac rtx 2060 twin fan.

16 gb ram
thermaltake 650w psu
gigabyte z390 sli mobo

What is the model, EXACT model, of your power supply? Thermaltake has some real turds out there, especially in the 500-650w range.

Have you done a clean install of the Nvidia drivers? And I do mean CLEAN, not just "install latest version".

Is your motherboard BIOS version updated to the latest one?

Here are the first steps to take when trying to solve these kinds of hardware problems. If you have already tried these steps, all of them, exactly as outlined, we can move along to more advanced solutions.

If there are any you have NOT done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First,

make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second,

go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

Third,

Make sure your memory is running at the correct advertised speed in the BIOS. This may require that you set the memory to run at the XMP profile settings. Also, make sure you have the memory installed in the correct slots and that they are running in dual channel which you can check by installing CPU-Z and checking the Memory tab. For all modern motherboards that are dual channel memory architectures, from the last ten years at least, if you have two sticks installed they should be in the A2 (Called DDR4_1 on some boards) or B2 (Called DDR4_2 on some boards) which are ALWAYS the SECOND and FOURTH slots over from the CPU socket, counting TOWARDS the edge of the motherboard EXCEPT on boards that only have two memory slots total. In that case, if you have two modules it's not rocket science, but if you have only one, then install it in the A1 or DDR4_1 slot.

The last thing we want to look at,

for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Here are the full instructions on running the Display driver uninstaller and CLEAN installing new drivers.

Graphics card CLEAN install tutorial using the DDU

Also, it seems you've made more than one post for this issue. In the future, stick to one thread per topic. Multiple threads per topic is not allowed per our forum terms and conditions.

Somebody has merged the two threads, which is why this looks all goofy now. Another reason to NOT do that.

Megadeth!m!

Prominent
Mar 1, 2019
What is the model, EXACT model, of your power supply? Thermaltake has some real turds out there, especially in the 500-650w range.

Have you done a clean install of the Nvidia drivers? And I do mean CLEAN, not just "install latest version".

Is your motherboard BIOS version updated to the latest one?

Here are the first steps to take when trying to solve these kinds of hardware problems. If you have already tried these steps, all of them, exactly as outlined, we can move along to more advanced solutions.

If there are any you have NOT done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First,

make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second,

go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

Third,

Make sure your memory is running at the correct advertised speed in the BIOS. This may require that you set the memory to run at the XMP profile settings. Also, make sure you have the memory installed in the correct slots and that they are running in dual channel which you can check by installing CPU-Z and checking the Memory tab. For all modern motherboards that are dual channel memory architectures, from the last ten years at least, if you have two sticks installed they should be in the A2 (Called DDR4_1 on some boards) or B2 (Called DDR4_2 on some boards) which are ALWAYS the SECOND and FOURTH slots over from the CPU socket, counting TOWARDS the edge of the motherboard EXCEPT on boards that only have two memory slots total. In that case, if you have two modules it's not rocket science, but if you have only one, then install it in the A1 or DDR4_1 slot.

The last thing we want to look at,

for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Here are the full instructions on running the Display driver uninstaller and CLEAN installing new drivers.

Graphics card CLEAN install tutorial using the DDU

I'm sorry for making another thread. All my drivers are up to date, but i will try reinstalling the nvidia driver.. Oh and the psu is a thermaltake smart BX1 rgb 650w

I can't comment because there are no reputable reviews of that power supply, and the ones on eteknix and nikktech are not what I'd call "reputable". One of them even calls it a "cooler" in the summary. No reputable sites have reviewed it, and given the history of quality and performance on the majority of Thermaltake units, especially the very horrible TR2 and most of the Smart series that HAVE been reviewed, I'd be leery of that model but again, I can't say anything for sure. I can't even say who the OEM is on that model.

As I said, install or re-install are not the same. You need to do a CLEAN install using the DDU and you NEED to do it in safe mode. Download the DDU, boot into safe mode by holding the shift key while you click on Restart, then choose the appropriate options to get to the safe mode menu and choose safe mode then restart.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

Then AFTER you run the DDU and restart again, THEN install the latest driver package, which it would be wise to first download before running the DDU.

Also, as I said, make SURE you have the latest motherboard BIOS version installed. Do that first.