[SOLVED] Bad Video Chip?

Aug 10, 2020
I have an older HP laptop. When I turn it on, the screen kinda lights up but never actually comes to life. If I hook up an external monitor it works fine. I took it to one place and they said the video chip was bad. As it was soldered in, it could not be replaced. When I asked why the external monitor worked, they had no answer. Does the same video chip drive both monitors? Can half of a video chip go bad? Could the cable be bad? Any ideas or hints would be appreciated? Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
Welcome to the forums :D

the video chip does indeed drive both the onboard screen and the external.
"kinda lights up" was the first clue and the fact that the external works was the second.
I think the backlights in your laptop are either turned all the way down (Look on the keyboard for a brightness key on one of the Fn keys across the top- Fn keys must use the Fn key at the same time - try adjust the brightness) or the backlights have failed.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums :D

the video chip does indeed drive both the onboard screen and the external.
"kinda lights up" was the first clue and the fact that the external works was the second.
I think the backlights in your laptop are either turned all the way down (Look on the keyboard for a brightness key on one of the Fn keys across the top- Fn keys must use the Fn key at the same time - try adjust the brightness) or the backlights have failed.

Solution