Question Bad viewing angles on a brand new IPS display?

morpheas768

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
So I just bought an AOC 24G2U5 Gaming monitor, which features an IPS panel, and as we all know, IPS panels are supposed to provide better viewing angles, among other benefits, compared to TN panels.
My old monitor is a TN panel, its a Samsung S24D330H.
The problem I'm having is that the brand new IPS monitor (AOC 24G2U5) actually has worse color shift!
I cant quite put my finger as to why it happens, but after a lot of close inspection, messing with all kinds of settings and testing with both monitors side by side, it seems that the IPS display tends to have a color shift that is more "silvery" and the old TN display is more "dark".
Its hard to put it into words, but the short of it is that the IPS display manages to be clearly worse than a cheap gaming TN panel, in terms of TFT color shift.
(And it isnt IPS glow, or backlight bleeding. Trust me, I checked thoroughly for those, its fine. I know what color shift looks like.)

Its so bad, that it actually bothers me when I look at the screen dead center, without any angles at all. I adjusted it in all shorts of different configurations by pivoting, tilting etc, and it just doesnt get better.
Just looking at the screen dead center, means that the sides (especially on the bottom) have an annoying color shift.
Messing with Brightness, Contrast, and basically everything thats on the OSD, didnt help.

I honestly thought that IPS panels are the clear winners in terms of viewing angles/color shift, compared to TN panels.

What am I missing?
Is the AOC 24G2U5 just an overall bad monitor?
Are other IPS displays definitely better?

Basically I am just buffled and surprised. If anyone can provide any input, I'd greatly appreciate it.

P.S. Very disappointed in this purchasing choice. And its so bizarrely unexpected!

Ralston18

Titan
You may not be missing anything.

The display may simply be defective in design, materials, or assembly. Or broken while being shipped and stored about.

If possible try the display on another known working computer. If the color shifts etc. are still seen then consider the monitor defective.

Return monitor to seller.

Ralston18

Titan
Bizarre indeed.

And the problem may not be "viewing angles" per se.

What is actually happening or not happening is beyond what I can (full disclosure) ascertain.

Bottom line is that the monitor is not working and thus needs to be returned.

Opening the box should not prohibit a refund. That is an impossible and ridiculous standard.

If you took the monitor apart then that is where warranties etc. are forfeited.

Document every thing you do, who you talk to, when, where, what is discussed. Use chats and emails to document conversations.

Be courteous, honest, and keep forcing the issue up the chain until you get to someone who can resolve the matter.

morpheas768

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
And the problem may not be "viewing angles" per se.

What is actually happening or not happening is beyond what I can (full disclosure) ascertain.
Yes you may very well be right. The thing is, I dont have any technical expertise in how monitor panels actually work.
I am just a user, a consumer, and can only attest to my experience when using the product.

And I wanted to add that since posing this question here on this forum,
I have compared this brand new AOC monitor to my brother's ancient LG monitor, which is an LCD 19" (I think 1366x768?) TN panel.

Guess what: it is actually better than my AOC in terms of "image blur" or "color shift" or whatever that effect is, especially when viewed at a direct-center angle.
That LG monitor btw, is a piece of junk, and my brother just "uses" it as a backup IF he ever needs it, its more than a decade old.

If you took the monitor apart then that is where warranties etc. are forfeited.

Document every thing you do, who you talk to, when, where, what is discussed. Use chats and emails to document conversations.

Be courteous, honest, and keep forcing the issue up the chain until you get to someone who can resolve the matter.
I will do what you suggested, thank you very much :)
Already filed a request for refund form through the seller's website, so we'll see if they accept it.

If they dont, should I claim a DOA? It is definitely not dead, the monitor works though.