[SOLVED] Bad VRM on an Asus mobo?

rscheetah30

Dignified
Jun 8, 2018
I have an old Asus MB and I am having trouble overclocking over 4.0Ghz, whenever I go over this limit, the pc starts to misbehave. Is this due to its VRM?

My rig:

FX 6300
R7 240 2GB
8GB DDR3 ram
MB: M5A78L-M LX V2
PSU: Gamemax GP650 650W

Solution
Well, before this psu I had a 500W generic one and I couldn't get near 4.0 without collateral effects such as my wifi signal cutting off randomly. With the Gamemax 650 I can keep my cpu at 4.0Ghz without any issue.
LOL...the same problem suggests you know what you need to do! I seriously believe getting a better PSU for it will help. A good quality modern design 500 or 550 W, possibly even 450W, would do it just fine and hold stable voltage...but it will cost more. I'd suggest something like Corsair CM550x.
My cooler is an excellent Cooler Master, my cpu temps rarely exceed 70ºC in use. At idle it runs at around 50ºC.
Define misbehave...

The reason your CPU never gets very hot is the processor is still trying to maintain its 95W TDP even when overclocked. So it will throttle itself periodically when clocks get above 4Ghz under heavy loads. But even if you can disable (BIOS support is required to do it) the VRM will throttle the CPU if it overheats to keep from burning up.

So this is possibly what you're seeing if the misbehaving is frequent throttles of clock frequency to 1.4Ghz or lower when processing a heavy load OC'd above 4Ghz.

Last edited:
Well, before this psu I had a 500W generic one and I couldn't get near 4.0 without collateral effects such as my wifi signal cutting off randomly. With the Gamemax 650 I can keep my cpu at 4.0Ghz without any issue.
LOL...the same problem suggests you know what you need to do! I seriously believe getting a better PSU for it will help. A good quality modern design 500 or 550 W, possibly even 450W, would do it just fine and hold stable voltage...but it will cost more. I'd suggest something like Corsair CM550x.

Solution