Question Bad Wi-Fi on a specific computer.

Jul 29, 2023
Hi all, so I’m having connection issues on one of my computers.

I use a USB network adapter on my main PC where I get a solid 100 mbps. However, on my other desktop if I use that same adapter I will get barely 1mbps.

Both computers are running a fresh install of windows and both have drivers installed. I have tried multiple USB slots and put the PC in different positions.

I have also used multiple network adapters. The only thing I can possibly think of is the case is interfering with the connection somehow?????

100mbps PC specs:
Ryzen 7 1700
12gb RAM
Gigabyte AX370m Ds3h
RX 580
Windows 10 home

1mbps POS PC specs:
FX-8150
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX TUF Gaming
16gb RAM
R9 290
Windows 10 home

Ralston18

Titan
On the "other desktop" double check that only the wireless network adapter is enabled. The wired network adapter should be disabled. (Only one network adapter be it wireless or wired should be enabled.)

Also check that Speed and Duplex are set for Auto.

Another thing you can do is on the "other desktop" try using a USB extension cable to raise the USB network adapter up and away from the computer and case.

Disabling IPv6 may help.

If the above suggestions do not make a difference then update your post to include make and model information for the modem and router. Or modem/router if combined.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt and post the results.

Note: You should be able to copy and past the results without needing to retype it all.

Reactions: WillC9303
Jul 29, 2023
Another thing you can do is on the "other desktop" try using a USB extension cable to raise the USB network adapter up and away from the computer and case.
All fixed now, a Male to Female extension cord was the solution. I did wonder if the case was causing interference. Thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
(y)

Interference and/or the adapter was overly getting hot.

Being in cooler air can help.

Keep an eye on the adapter - it will likely still get warm but once hot then failure may occur.

Touch carefully.

TRENDING THREADS