[SOLVED] Bad wifi and port forwarding in a student home

Hevos93

Honorable
Mar 7, 2016
Hey!

I live in a student home, and the wifi connection is unreliable. This meaning the connection can just quit and be gone for 10-15 minutes, except when you use an ethernet cable.
The solution i have in mind is to buy a router and connect a ethernet cable from the original router onto mine. Will this be a way of giving me a "private" and reliable network?

On top of that i want to port forward my plex server, minecraft server etc and just play a bit around. Will my router be able, for example, to host an online minecraft server so my friends who dont live with me can connect to?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
No.

Connecting your own router is not going to help. And may not even work to begin with.

Who has admin rights/control of the "original" router?

Anything you do via the "original router" will need assistance from the person with full admin rights to that router.

The only way you will have your own "private and reliable" network is to get and to pay for your own ISP service.

E.g.:

ISP--->Your modem ---> Your router* ----> Your server(s).

[* Note: or a modem/router combo.]
Jun 19, 2019
Hello, if you are absolutely sure that the router is the issue, then yes a new one should be just fine. But this won't be private and you'll probably have to run your router in AP mode (I don't know the config of the network). So if your really concerned about privacy I would recommend getting a router that supports VPN integration.

For port forwarding most routers support it but it isn't exactly the best option safety wise. A service like Ngrok or Pagekite might be better.

Hope this helps!

Ralston18

Titan
No.

Connecting your own router is not going to help. And may not even work to begin with.

Anything you do via the "original router" will need assistance from the person with full admin rights to that router.

The only way you will have your own "private and reliable" network is to get and to pay for your own ISP service.

E.g.:

Solution

Hevos93

Honorable
Mar 7, 2016
Hello, if you are absolutely sure that the router is the issue, then yes a new one should be just fine. But this won't be private and you'll probably have to run your router in AP mode (I don't know the config of the network). So if your really concerned about privacy I would recommend getting a router that supports VPN integration.

For port forwarding most routers support it but it isn't exactly the best option safety wise. A service like Ngrok or Pagekite might be better.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, i will look into it:)

Hevos93

Honorable
Mar 7, 2016
No.

E.g.:

That makes alot of sense, the homeowner is the admin. But he has said that none of the students can do anything network wise, because the network is used by a another tenant.

Thanks for the answer:)