[SOLVED] Bad wifi on desktop good on laptop beside it?

Aug 6, 2019
Hi,
I'm super new to computers and this site so I'll be my best to provide the needed info below.

I just built a desktop and the wifi on it is just terrible. It disconnects a lot and has a very poor singal when it is connected. I have a laptop right beside it with a great connection and my phone has a good connection is the same room.

I use windows 10
I'm with Roger's and we have 5g internet...I'm pretty sure.
There are 9 devices connected to the wifi at the most but none have connection issues
3 laptops 2 phones 2 TVs and 1 tablet connected to the wifi along side the new desktop.
The computer has 32gb of ram
An asus maximus xi hero(wifi) motherboard

Under the wifi status the speed changes between 5mbps to 117mbps sporadically.
The "activity" shows 4 bars if that means anything.

Solution
It seems like that was a huge part of the problem! I feel like an idiot to say the least. He actually had to go dumpster diving to retrieve the parts he threw out. Thank you so much for the help!
Lessons learned. NEVER throw out the original box and other stuff for at least 30 days. You may need it to RMA.

Ralston18

Titan
On the desktop:

Are you sure that only one network adapter, either wired or wireless, is enabled?

I.e., if you wish to use wireless on the desktop then disable the wired adapter.

On the router:

How many connected DHCP IP devices are allowed? Any static IP addresses in use? Look for possible IP address duplication.

Aug 6, 2019
On the desktop:

Are you sure that only one network adapter, either wired or wireless, is enabled?

I.e., if you wish to use wireless on the desktop then disable the wired adapter.

On the router:

How many connected DHCP IP devices are allowed? Any static IP addresses in use? Look for possible IP address duplication.
There's no ethernet cable plugged in but i did just disable is just incase.
As for the 2nd thing you said im really sorry about thid but it went way over my head. I got as far as typing in cmd then ipconfig/all but have no idea what to look for.

Aug 6, 2019
The antenna for your laptop is behind the screen so it is on top of the desk with no obstructions between it and the WIFI source. Where is the antenna for the desktop? Is the desktop case between the antenna and the WIFI source?
I would imagine so. The motherboard is where the wifi thing is so it's safe to assume it's a little obstructed. Though taking the laptop back into the basement hasen't effected the connection for it.

Aug 6, 2019
Do you have a modem and router or a combination modem/router? Make(s) & model(s)?

Who has admin rights to the router?
I think is a combo because theres only one thing here. The model name on the back is coda-4582u
I hope that, that is relevant info.
I would assume i have admin rights but this is not by any means a tech savy household so i dont think anyone knows how to use those rights.

Aug 6, 2019
Is this motherboard WIFI with included antennas, or PCIe card with included antennas or USB. If USB is a "nano" sized device ?
I dont think it has any usb anything included or required. The motherboard was just advertised as "wifi" and it didnt come with any antennas or anything to plug into a usb port.

kanewolf

Titan
An asus rog maximus xi hero (wifi)
If you look at the picture of the motherboard with the box. There are two triangular plastic devices with cables connected. Those have to connect to the coax ports on the back of the motherboard. Those triangular pieces are the antennas. Without them connected to your motherboard you will have almost zero WIFI.

Section 2.1.10 of the user's manual describes installation of the antennas.

Aug 6, 2019
If you look at the picture of the motherboard with the box. There are two triangular plastic devices with cables connected. Those have to connect to the coax ports on the back of the motherboard. Those triangular pieces are the antennas. Without them connected to your motherboard you will have almost zero WIFI.

Section 2.1.10 of the user's manual describes installation of the antennas.
Good god. My friend who esentially did all the building saw that and said it was nothing. He'll actually be over in 20min and I'll get a hand trying that.

Aug 6, 2019
Hopefully it is something as simple as this. Take advantage of the cable and place the antennas on the desktop so that they have the best signal path to the WIFI source.
It seems like that was a huge part of the problem! I feel like an idiot to say the least. He actually had to go dumpster diving to retrieve the parts he threw out. Thank you so much for the help!

TRENDING THREADS