Badly configured, because of a mobo that says it accepts 1866mhz memory, started acting weird, so I did memtest

CerealWars

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
I already have it in my Linux Mint/Windows 7 menu.

At first it found nothing except in Test 6 (Moving inversions, 32 bit patterns). I got 2x4gb Corsair Vengence 1866mhz voltages 9-7-9-24. I always played with this when I bought my mobo last year (ASUS M5497 LE R2.0), despite the manual saying it accepted 1866mhz memory, which the bios assumes, sometimes, very rarely,but often after I disconnect the power supply and have to do things inside the box, it'll say overclocking failed press F1 to continue and default back the brackets to 1333mhz.

So I tried to change them colors (got 4 spaces for memory brackets, used the other). And Memtest (I forgot to mention that I used memtest because my AMD-FX 8350 8 4ghz processors, not even overclocked and I could easily do so up to at least 4.2 without extra cooling, I've got a lot of cooling going on. I noticed there was a serious issue when I kept getting blue screens every 10-20-30 minutes in win 7 x64 ultimate. Blue screen pointing at a memory address or IRQ equal or less than...and some gibberish.

So I did memtest, all looked good, except test #6 where the first time around I got 45 errors, then I tried with just one bracket, but it looked like I was going to get half of the errors and no issue to my problem. I ended up looking at the brackets and the voltages they need in the back, I know I had messed with that in the past to make the bios stay at 1866mhz and not randomly put me back to 1333 or even strange speeds like 1458. So I looked around, moved the voltage from 1.5 to 1.575 although the bracket says it needs 1.5.

So I put everything this way in the bios, 9-7-9-24(or is it 27...anyway, I can't remember now because I just took a huge nap to have a full memtest do its job.

Turns out that when tuned like it says on the brackets themselves, I "only" get 7 errors in the 6th test. I have 2 other ones coming so I can have 16gb of ram...is 7 errors too many? I'm in Linux right now where it doesn't crash at all, I only started to notice things like the trash applet not starting at bootup although the icon on the desktop works fine. Also I noticed that Firefox crashed a lot, when it didn't use to and a lot of under strange things I can't remember right now.

The moment of truth will be when I'll boot in win7 and see what happens. All the memtest pros please tell me what I have got here, if you want more info, I have some notes written down on papers, the actual errors address, the "Good", "Bad" and that would be it I guess, it was all test #6 errors, all other tests were fine, even before I changed back the bios settings to how they should be, where errors in test #6 went from 40/70+. Now it's 7 and no errors in any other category. Please don't tell me when I get my new memory brackets, I'll have to remove these and stay at 8gb of ram.

Sorry for the long post, butI wanted to offer the most information so the least typical responses which contain questions in them to things I have already given the info in my OP.

Thanks. (not risking going into win7 yet..I'll wait and see).

Solution
Any Memtest errors is a bad thing, you should be able to run the test 8hrs without a single one. It either means the ram is defective, improperly setup, or incompatible in some way. You might want to return to stack values and retest. I don't release a system to a customer without memtest running overnight without an error.

Here is the ram Corsair guarrantees is compatible.

popatim

Titan
Any Memtest errors is a bad thing, you should be able to run the test 8hrs without a single one. It either means the ram is defective, improperly setup, or incompatible in some way. You might want to return to stack values and retest. I don't release a system to a customer without memtest running overnight without an error.

Here is the ram Corsair guarrantees is compatible.

Solution

CerealWars

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
Well, in my mobo's manual, it says it accepts Corsair 1866mhz, 1866mhz being the fastest ram it can accept, if I remember well.

So you think that I should wait and when it arrives in the mail install the new sticks and stay at 8gb and not 16gb, or maybe it's just one stick causing trouble, I did look for that, but that was before I went back and put all the settings it needs in my BIOS, because otherwise its detected as 1333mhz.

CerealWars

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
It looks like the only thing I got wrong is that I am in 1T mode. Since it wasn't written on the back of the memstick after the voltages, I wasn't sure, but I'll be putting it in 2T mode, I know where that is although I have no idea what it means.

CerealWars

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
When I set it to 2T, following the voltage (it was at 1.575 because I was told to do that a long while ago when I bought the memory and it would appear as 1333mhz when the bios posted. The sticks says 1.5 and 9-10-9-27 2TB. So far, nothing is crashing in Linux, the trash can applet doesn't fail to load and Firefox doesn't crash every couple hours. Looking good, going to boot into Windows later, right now I want to relax and watch some Better Call Saul. I will tell you what happens in Windows, but I think I fixed it.