Question Baffled about an HDMI issue

tbonez3858

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
Im baffled by a current laptop/video issue and wanted to see if any of you can assist...

I have a laptop and Im able to connect an HDMI cable to a TV and project video without issue. The HDMI port is obviously working and the cable is in good condition. I take the same laptop and cable and connect it to a projector and it will not project video onto a screen. The same projector works on multiple laptops via HDMI so I know its not the projector. The only way I can get it to work on this specific laptop is to plug the HDMI hub into the USB port and then the laptop projects onto the screen. Its as if the projector doesnt like this specific laptops HDMI port.

Its an NVIDIA graphics card in the laptop...

Kind of baffled...anyone have this issue or ideas?. It seems to defy logic. Im probably missing something dead simple..

Things I've done:
Used new cable
Updated the bios
Updated the graphics card driver
Toggled laptop settings to duplicate screen, extend, second screen only, etc. Its does not appear to be a presentation setting as there is no change regardless of option selected

..and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! If this isnt the right section, please let me know.

Im baffled by a current laptop/video issue and wanted to see if any of you can assist...

I have a laptop and Im able to connect an HDMI cable to a TV and project video without issue. The HDMI port is obviously working and the cable is in good condition. I take the same laptop and cable and connect it to a projector and it will not project video onto a screen. The same projector works on multiple laptops via HDMI so I know its not the projector. The only way I can get it to work on this specific laptop is to plug the HDMI hub into the USB port and then the laptop projects onto the screen. Its as if the projector doesnt like this specific laptops HDMI port.

Its an NVIDIA graphics card in the laptop...

Kind of baffled...anyone have this issue or ideas?. It seems to defy logic. Im probably missing something dead simple..

Things I've done:
Used new cable
Updated the bios
Updated the graphics card driver
Toggled laptop settings to duplicate screen, extend, second screen only, etc. Its does not appear to be a presentation setting as there is no change regardless of option selected

..and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! If this isnt the right section, please let me know.
Sounds like the laptops HDMI port doesn't support the specific resolution of the projector, the adapter may have a way to cut the image to the proper size what adapter is it? What's the laptop make and model

tbonez3858

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2014
Sounds like the laptops HDMI port doesn't support the specific resolution of the projector, the adapter may have a way to cut the image to the proper size what adapter is it? What's the laptop make and model

That makes a lot of sense! It’s a new high end laptop and it’s probably displaying 4K to an older projector.

The laptop is at work so I will have to get the model number in the morning.

Reactions: white.a.drew