Question Baffled why Chromebook won't work on new network

michaeljc70

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I installed a new mesh router yesterday (Netgear Orbi AC1200 ) using the same SSID and password my previous router had. All my devices (around 10 of them) all work fine whether wired or wireless. My Chromebook connects but has no internet access or access to anything local (like the router). It has 5 bars for the signal. The Chromebook can connect to other wifi networks and works fine.

I tried:
Resetting the router
Powerwashing (factory resetting) the Chromebook
Giving the Chromebook a reserved IP from the router (Chromebook did get the designated ip)
Forgetting the network and re-adding it on the Chromebook
Verified that the "access control" was not blocking this device

I'm not sure what else to try.

Last edited:

michaeljc70

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
2.4 is set to auto but it is connecting using 5ghz and that is set to 157. I cannot change it. The dropdown is disabled. I'll look into why that is disabled.

I'll add that I can connect to the guest network with the Chromebook and it works fine.

If the Chromebook didn't support that channel wouldn't it not connect at all?

Last edited:

michaeljc70

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
If it works on the guest network, it sounds like a security problem. Are you using WPA2, AES ? Do you have some unusual characters in your password?
Have you tried a more "plain vanilla" password ?

I am using WPA2-PSK [AES]. The password is pretty simple- just numbers and letters.

Since it is connected but cannot access anything, I really thought it was due to the routers access control somehow accidentally being on for this device. I checked though and access control is completely off.

michaeljc70

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
When I run the network diagnostics in Chrome it says DNS failed. I tried chaning the DNS server on both the Chromebook and the router but same problem. Since the guest network works and uses the same DNS server, I don't know what could be going on.

In Chrome when I try to go to a site it says no internet and lists error DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET.

TRENDING THREADS